Whitehaven 44 Coventry Bears 12

Whitehaven picked up their second league victory of the season thanks to a great first-half display over visitors Coventry Bears.

Haven ran in six tries to get on top of their opponents in a convincing display which slowed down in the second half as Coventry fought back.

The home side probably could have had more but some unforced errors cost them points at times.

And all credit to Coventry, they never stopped trying and their effort and commitment was on display throughout.

They had spells where they pushed Haven hard, but on the attack, the home side always looked dangerous

Haven were on the score sheet in their first real attack of the match with just three minutes on the clock.

The home side had been passing the ball about well and then, on the last Glenn Riley twisted out of the tackle and got his arm out to touch down near the posts, leaving Paul Crook an easy conversion.

Coventry handed Whitehaven more field position as Jason Bass knocked on in front of his own posts from a long kick.

And the home side took full advantage as they whipped the ball out to the left hand side, where Jessie Joe Parker fed Craig Calvert and the winger dived over in the corner.

Crook's attempted kick from the touchline just missed its target and Haven held a 10-0 lead.

But two quick penalties from Haven indiscipline left Coventry camped on the Haven line and they showed they were not just in the game to make up the numbers.

Swift passing saw the ball land in the hands of Eddie Medforth and he dummied a pass to his winger and then went himself to touch down, Brad Delaney converting from the touchline.

Another penalty gave the Bears another chance 20-metres out but they let it slip as Jack Morrison was held up on the line and then lost the ball.

Haven restored their advantage as Scott McAvoy stepped out of a tackle and strode over the try line, with Crook adding the extras.

And this seemed to spur Whitehaven on as they crossed just a couple of minutes later. It went through several pairs of hands with Crook putting a great cut out pass to the left hand side.

Craig Calvert jinked his way through several defenders before releasing Elliott Miller who cut through to score, Crook converting.

Coventry had their chance with a very high bomb from Prior which was allowed to bounce before Kieran Sharratt got to it and tapped it back for the supporting Prior but he just couldn't hang on with the try line at his mercy.

Chris Taylor was the next name on the score sheet for Haven as he was gifted a ball from Steve Roper and he cut a swathe through the defence to run virtually untouched to the try line.

Crook was on target once again with the kick and Haven had a 28-6 lead.

Whitehaven literally played to the whistle as they were attacking as the hooter sounded. Jessie Joe Parker fed McAvoy who danced through the defence before handing it back to Parker.

He cut through on an angled run towards the posts and slipped the pass to the supporting Crook who went in under the posts.

The final word went to Crook with the resulting conversion and Haven had a 34-6 lead at the break.

The second half was just two minutes old when Haven were back on the try scoring trail, Roper setting up Parker who drove over the line. Crook couldn't quite add the kick from the touchline but Haven were in the ascendancy once again.

The home side were helped by two penalties, both for high tackles, and found themselves 10-metres out but this time James Tilley tried to force the pass in the tackle and it came loose.

Coventry began to put some pressure on the Haven line and forced a drop-out beneath the sticks as Parker was caught in possession in the in-goal area.

Delaney put a nice crossfield kick in on the last looking for the chasing Jamahl Hunte but it just rolled over the dead ball line before the winger could reach it.

And Haven raced to the opposite end of the field and were a little lucky to get another try.

Tilley again looked to offload close to the line but this time it ricocheted off the knee of a Coventry defender and Miller was quick to react and scoop the ball up to score, Crook converting for 44-6.

Haven were finding plenty of holes in the Coventry defence and they looked dangerous but it was the visitors who were rewarded for their efforts.

With nine minutes remaining Jason Bass scored a fine individual try, jinking his way through several defenders before ducking to dive over the line. Delaney added the extras.

And they nearly added a second as Hayden Freeman made a superb break down the left hand side.

The Haven defence closed in and he popped it up for Prior but he was halted short of his target.

The second half petered out with both teams tiring but the match and crucially the league points went to Whitehaven.

Haven: Miller, Calvert, Parker, Taylor, Thompson, Roper, Crook, Shackley, Newton, Riley, McAvoy, Holliday, Forster. Subs (all used): Tilley, Dalton, Worthington, Holland.

Tries: Riley 3, Calvert 9, McAvoy 20, Miller 22, 59, Taylor 32, Crook 40, Parker 42.

Goals: Crook 6/8.

Coventry: Bass, Freeman, Reid, Medforth, Hunte, Prior, Delaney, Johnson, Gaylor, Morrison, Sherratt, Barratt, Davies. Subs (all used): Hughes, Geurtjens, Meadows, Gover.

Tries: Medforth 13, Bass 71.

Goals: Delaney 2/2.

Referee: Steve Race.

Penalties 7-9.

Half time: 34-6.

Crowd: 413.

Star Man: Elliott Miller.