Rye House 45 Workington Comets 45: Workington Comets earned their first away points of the season at Rye House as the Rockets snatched a 45-45 draw at the death.

A gutsy effort from every Comet, particularly Ricky Wells and Mason Campton, saw them lead going into the final heat before Edward Kennett dashed their victory hopes with a fifth win for his paid maximum.

A stuttering start saw the opening heat rerun twice after Wells jumped both starts, before the American recovered from last to second behind Kennett at the third time of asking. Rasmus Jensen kept the pair honest to share the spoils.

The strange beginning became a solid one as Matt Williamson and Adam Roynon followed Ben Morley across the line to make it two draws from two.

Campton produced a composed win in heat three, with Cameron Heeps between him and Kenneth Hansen as Comets seized the initiative.

Heat four was rerun after Claus Vissing jumped the start and Morley couldn’t repeat the stellar ride from his first race as he wound up at the back behind Stuart Robson, Vissing and Williamson in another tightly-contested draw.

Workington landed a heavy blow with a 5-1 in heat five, Wells and Jensen leaving Leigh Lanham and Heeps no chance from the tapes to stretch their early lead to six points.

Kennett was in enviable form as usual with another win in heat six, while Vissing nipped at his heels and Lykke eventually passed Roynon after the pair almost came together to trim the visitors’ lead to four points.

In yet another rerun after movement from Campton at the tapes, heat seven saw another terrific Comets display secure a 5-1.

Campton and Hansen showed Karger how to ride Rye House while Robson struggled and was eventually passed by his teammate, ending up last as Workington replenished their six-point gap.

The hosts team-rode to a 5-1 of their own in heat eight, Morley bursting to the front before Lykke slipped past Jensen then into the lead to keep Comets on their toes.

A frantic start saw Heeps grab the lead and ultimately the win in heat nine, with Vissing splitting him and Lanham to maintain a slender two-point lead for the West Cumbrians.

That lead was wiped out in heat 10 as the unstoppable Kennett made it three wins out of three while Hansen and Lykke traded places.

The Rocket eventually snatched second in a home 5-1 which left Comets trailing by two points.

A bizarre heat 11 saw momentum swing back in Comets’ favour as Jensen wove through the field after the home side gated to take the lead.

Wells then capitalised on falls from both Karger and Robson, with the latter remounting to salvage a point in a Comets 5-1.

The recovery continued as Roynon and Hansen saw off Morley and Heeps to make it 39-33 to Workington with three heats to go.

Another spectacular ride from Kennett saw him storm past both Wells and Robson to win heat 13, but the Comets skipper reeled in Robson to limit Rye House to a 4-2 and keep his side in control.

A third win for Campton for a draw in heat 14 ensured Comets would be taking something home but the pressure was now on to see out the win.

Kennett went unbeaten on the night to snatch a result at the death for his side, with Robson hanging on to keep Wells in third and make the final score 45-45.


WORKINGTON COMETS 45: Ricky Wells 10+1, Mason Campton 9, Rasmus Jensen 7+2, Kenneth Hansen 6+2, Claus Vissing 6, Adam Roynon 4+1, Matt Williamson 3+1.