Max Kilsby and Kai Nugent were both involved in solid draws on the road for their respective Scottish League One loan clubs on Saturday.

Defender Kilsby started for Queen of the South at Hamilton Academical, while fellow Carlisle United loanee Nugent came off the bench for Annan Athletic at Alloa Athletic.

Kilsby, 20, played the full game and contributed to a second consecutive clean sheet as Queens claimed a 0-0 draw against their high-flying hosts.

It was an eighth appearance for the Doonhamers for left-sided Kilsby, whose club are seventh in Scotland’s third tier.

Nugent, meanwhile, was introduced by Annan boss Peter Murphy in the closing stages of their 1-1 draw at Alloa Athletic.

The 19-year-old replaced Lewis Hunter with ten minutes remaining against the division’s third-placed side.

Annan had fought back to level through Tommy Muir in the first half and a point made it five games unbeaten as the second-bottom Galabankies kept their survival hopes alive.

Workington Reds’ Carlisle United youth loanees were unable to help Danny Grainger’s side avoid a disappointing defeat in the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Sam Hetherington started the game and Jake Allan came off the bench late on.

Hetherington was denied a first-half goal when it was ruled his cross had not gone over the line, while the young midfielder was unable to convert a second-half chance as Reds trailed 1-0.

Allan was introduced from the bench for Kitt Nelson in the 73rd minute but Grainger’s side could not find a way back as they suffered consecutive defeats. Reds, who are 16th, are at home to Atherton Collieries on Easter Monday.

A host of ex-Blues have been in the thick of the action so far on this Easter weekend, meanwhile.

Dean Henderson returned to the Crystal Palace side yesterday in the absence of injured Sam Johnstone as the Eagles drew 1-1 at the Cumbrian's former club Nottingham Forest. It was the former Blues academy keeper’s first appearance since mid-February.

News and Star: Dean Henderson helped Palace to a draw against his former club ForestDean Henderson helped Palace to a draw against his former club Forest (Image: PA)

Jarrad Branthwaite suffered defeat on his return to club duty with Everton as the Toffees lost 2-1 at AFC Bournemouth thanks to a late Seamus Coleman own-goal. Branthwaite played the full game in Sean Dyche’s defence in front of keeper Jordan Pickford.

Young Cumbrians Joe White and James Trafford were on the bench for Newcastle United and Burnley respectively as the Magpies defeated West Ham United 4-3 and the Clarets drew 2-2 at Chelsea.

In the Championship, a goal from Bailey Cadamarteri – son of former Carlisle striker Danny – earned Sheffield Wednesday a 1-1 draw at home to Swansea City.

In League One, Owen Moxon’s latest Portsmouth start came in the leaders’ 3-1 win at Wycombe Wanderers as John Mousinho’s side took another step towards promotion.

League Two saw a straight red card for Doncaster Rovers’ Tom Anderson for a foul in their 2-0 win at Crawley Town.

Offrande Zanzala struck a consolation goal as Newport County went down to a 2-1 defeat at Colchester United.

In-form Cole Stockton, meanwhile, kept Barrow’s promotion push on track with a brace in their 3-1 home win over Grimsby Town.

Calum Kavanagh, son of ex-United manager Graham, got the opener in Bradford City’s 2-0 home win over Tranmere Rovers.

Sam Fishburn made his loan debut for York City as a substitute in their 2-1 win over champions Chesterfield in the National League.

Chris Beech enjoyed an impressive 3-1 win for his AFC Fylde side at Oldham Athletic to push the Coasters closer to safety.

In National League North, Mark Ellis was on target as Chorley won 3-0 at Darlington.

NPL Premier saw ex-United trialist Stephen Walker strike a consolation goal for Whitby Town in their 4-1 defeat at Ashton United.

Northern League Division One’s Good Friday action saw an excellent 2-1 home win for Carlisle City over Guisborough Town in which Keighran Kerr hit the winner for Jim Nichols’ seventh-placed side.

In the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, meanwhile, a 5-0 win over Goole sealed the title for Emley, who are managed by Richard Tracey.

North of the border, James Tavernier was on target as Rangers claimed a 3-1 win over Hibernian at Ibrox.

Sean McGinty’s 50th-minute goal proved the winner as Ayr United earned a 2-1 home win over Airdrieonians in the Scottish Championship.

And in Scottish League Two there was a late goal for Joe McKee as Peterhead defeated Clyde 4-1.

In Australia’s A-League, a Zach Clough penalty featured in Adelaide United’s 4-1 home win over Western United.