Report by Callum Linford

FC United 1 Workington Reds 3: In an area where the Reds have been subdued by the blues of Manchester, this time it was the yellow of Workington who handed out a defeat.

Both sides came into the game on the back of a solitary win in February with Matlock and Gainsborough being felled by Reds and United respectively.

Reds went into the game on the back of the announcement of Danny Grainger leaving at the end of the season but were equally buoyed by David Symington going to the top of the Northern Premier League’s golden boot race and continuing his red-hot form.

The home side had been shipping goals for fun in recent weeks while Reds seemed to have found their striking feet again which led to an interesting game in some horrendous conditions in north Manchester.

Reds started well and were awarded a free kick on three minutes when Jake Allan was felled, this was deflected out for a corner which Greg McCaragher forced a save from.

FC would open the scoring on seven minutes as a calamitous error from Conor Tinnion saw Dontai Gabidon in for FC’s first.

But this was soon cancelled out by Symington's 24th goal of the season.  

The high-octane pace continued into the 13th minute as Symington saw the goal light up but was fractionally late in putting boot to ball leaving it to the keeper's grasp.

A beautiful lay off from Scott Allison nearly had Symington through again but for a fantastic save from FC United.

On 21 minutes FC United built well before rifling a shot towards Oldham rather than the goal.

Tinnion smashed a shot goalwards but was denied by another fine save.

Reds took the lead on 43 minutes through some brilliant play as Jordan Little and Allison played some fantastic football to see Sam Hetherington in for Reds' lead which they held out to half time.

The scorer Hetherington was replaced by Lewis Reilly at half time.

Reds had the first opportunity of the second half as Symington shot well wide with far too much power.

On 51 minutes Allan was booked for a foul moments after a goalline scramble from FC kept it at 1-2.

The game started to open up as the hour approached with Reds looking the sharper. Some 64 minutes passed as FC gained a second wind, forcing a corner and a save from Jim Atkinson

On 70 minutes Reds were awarded a free kick that went just wide. FC soon responded with a corner of their own 50 seconds later which was repelled for another corner as the heavens opened in Moston.

Symington was nearly away for Reds third but for some fantastic back tracking by FC on 74.

On 79 minutes an absolute howler from United's goalkeeper left Lewis Reilly with a tap in to make it 3-1 to the visitors.

On 84 minutes Bobby Carroll was shown a straight red for a lunge. Reds, though, to their credit managed the game thereafter into a second win in as many matches which took them up to 11th in NPL Premier.