Carlisle United 3 Blackpool 2: Terry Ablade struck twice and Dan Butterworth also scored as Carlisle’s reserves claimed victory.

The Blues’ second string proved too strong for Blackpool’s development side in the Central League Cup clash.

Butterworth capped a positive first-half showing with a well-taken opener in the game on the new artificial pitch at Penrith's Leo Group Stadium.

And Ablade scored twice in quick succession to increase United’s lead.

Jake Daniels pulled one back for Blackpool and Josh Miles added another late on, but it was overall a brighter reserve outing from United than in recent weeks.

There was, though, an injury concern as Corey Whelan went off late in the game.

United involved a host of first-team players with eight senior pros starting the game.

Jokull Andresson, Ben Barclay, Whelan, Jack Robinson, Ablade, Butterworth, Luke Plange and Ryan Edmondson were all handed chances to impress along with youth team players Aran Fitzpatrick, Jake Allan and Will Maddison.

United, in a 4-3-3 system, needed young defender Maddison to make a vital recovering tackle early on.

Luke Mariette then hit the wall with a Pool free-kick and, after Plange had had a shot saved for the hosts, the visitors passed up two good opportunities when Mariette cleared the bar and Dannen Francis volleyed wide from a good position.

The Blues then grew into things and went close through captain Butterworth, whose curling shot was tipped just wide by Blackpool keeper Mackenzie Chapman.

News and Star: Terry Ablade scores for the BluesTerry Ablade scores for the Blues (Image: Barbara Abbott)

Butterworth was United’s brightest first-half player and he went close again from 20 yards.

And then the summer signing broke the deadlock when, in the 35th minute, he cut in from the right and beat Chapman with a well-placed effort.

Carlisle held their lead to the break with Andresson sharply off his line to deny Blackpool twice.

And then they struck twice early in the second half after Daniels had missed a chance on the break for the visitors.

It was 2-0 on 50 minutes when Butterworth’s bright run ended with a pass to Ablade in the box, and the Fulham loanee rifled it low past Chapman.

And three minutes later Ablade got another, finishing clinically after the Blackpool keeper had parried a Butterworth attempt.

United, in a dominant spell against Stephen Dobbie’s side, went close again soon after, when Whelan’s flicked attempt from a Butterworth corner blocked in front of the line, and the defender later forced Chapman to tip a header over the bar.

News and Star: The game was on Penrith AFC's new artificial pitchThe game was on Penrith AFC's new artificial pitch (Image: Barbara Abbott)

Teenager Allan went off injured with 17 minutes to go and, soon after, Blackpool grabbed a goal when Daniels rifled low past Andresson after an exchange with Josh Miles in the box.

And Daniels came close to another when he shot just over the bar a minute later.

Plange then was denied by Chapman when the keeper pushed his finish against the crossbar, before Daniels wasted a good headed chance for Blackpool at the near post.

Whelan went down injured in the 88th minute and was substituted as Romeo Park came on, and then Blackpool grabbed an injury-time consolation when Miles got behind sub Sam Hetherington, rounded Andresson and slotted home.

Carlisle held on for victory in their second group game, having lost their first 2-1 at Wigan Athletic in August.

United: Andresson, Maddison, Barclay, Whelan (Park 88), Robinson, Allan (O’Brien 72), Butterworth, Fitzpatrick (Hetherington 68), Ablade, Edmondson, Plange. Not used: Barry, Swinburn.

Goals: Butterworth 35, Ablade 50, 53

Blackpool: Chapman, Donkor, Opawole, Nyame, Squires, Lescott, Trusty (Ahmed 86), Mariette, Miles, Francis, Daniels. Not used: Amadi-Emina, Littler, Jones, Hassan.

Goals: Daniels 73, Miles 90.