Carlisle United 2 Shrewsbury Town 0: Joe Garner sealed Carlisle's first win of the season after a strong showing at Brunton Park.

The substitute wrapped things up in added time after a 57th-minute Tom Bayliss own goal had put Paul Simpson's side in front.

The Blues were good value for their first victory back in League One in front of a buoyant 7,395 crowd at Brunton Park.

And it meant a losing return to their former club for Shrewsbury defender Morgan Feeney - who was booed by home fans throughout - and striker Ryan Bowman.

Bayliss inadvertently put past his own keeper as Sean Maguire attacked an Owen Moxon corner in front of the Warwick Road End.

And Carlisle saw things through impressively as Garner finished off a move involving home debutant sub Terry Ablade.

News and Star: Jordan Gibson went close on his recallJordan Gibson went close on his recall (Image: Ben Holmes)

It resulted in the Cumbrians' first win at this level since April 5, 2014, as they moved up to 19th in the early third-tier table.

Blues boss Simpson made one change to his starting line-up, Jordan Gibson recalled in place of Alfie McCalmont.

Keeper Jokull Andresson was handed his home debut while there were returns to the bench for Garner and Jayden Harris.

Shrewsbury's line-up included their two ex-Blues, Feeney and Bowman, while Mal Benning replaced the injured Jordan Shipley at left wing-back.

With new loan signing Joshua Kayode watching on, Feeney's every touch was loudly jeered by many in the home crowd.

News and Star: Joshua Kayode was at Brunton Park following his deadline-day loan moveJoshua Kayode was at Brunton Park following his deadline-day loan move (Image: Barbara Abbott)

An evenly-matched start saw Luke Plange head a Moxon corner over the bar before Benning went close for the visitors.

Carlisle grew into the contest and Moxon was a whisker away from putting Maguire through in the 11th minute.

A promising break by Fin Back lacked a decisive final ball soon afterwards, while for Shrewsbury, the tricky Dan Udoh missed the target from a useful position.

The 22nd minute then saw a period of applause in memory of Carlisle lad John McKenna, who tragically died whilst on holiday in the summer.

As the action continued, Plange saw a shot blocked while Sam Lavelle headed over the bar from close range.

Carlisle's urgency was getting them on top in the game and further opportunities followed.

The lively Gibson, often linking well with Maguire, almost opened the scoring on 26 minutes when his shot from the left was somehow pushed around the post by keeper Marko Marosi.

Bayliss sliced wide for Matt Taylor's side before Maguire's sliding challenge set up a promising break, but Plange's return pass for the Irish striker was slightly overhit, allowing Shrewsbury to see off the chance.

Bowman was booked in first half added time after a tussle with Paul Huntington, as Carlisle came out of the half having had the better of it, but still in need of a better final ball or decision when on top.

The visitors made a half-time change, Elliott Bennett replacing Nohan Kenneh, but Carlisle remained in the ascendancy.

Maguire rifled over when fed by the impressive Moxon, before Callum Guy was off target from outside the box.

News and Star: Owen Moxon gestures to the crowd after the opening goalOwen Moxon gestures to the crowd after the opening goal (Image: Ben Holmes)

Eventually, though, Carlisle found the breakthrough when a Back cross was pushed over by Marosi, and Moxon's near-post corner was attacked by Maguire before it went in off Bayliss.

United's fans responded with a chant of "Feeney, what's the score?" as their side claimed the lead.

Jon Mellish could have doubled it but slipped as he shot wide, his penalty claims turned down by ref Ben Toner.

Plange was next to go close, as he met a Back cross and saw his effort hit the outside of the post.

Chey Dunkley headed a Shrewsbury free-kick wide but at the midway point of the second half Carlisle remained on top.

The visitors made a double change with 20 minutes to go, Kieran Phillips and Max Mata replacing Bowman and Bayliss, before Carlisle failed to make the most of a useful counter-attack involving Plange, Gibson and Mellish.

It was Mellish who then came to United's rescue, showing good pace to beat Phillips to a Mata flick and remove danger.

News and Star: Players prepare for a cornerPlayers prepare for a corner (Image: Ben Holmes)

In the 74th minute Simpson replaced both his strikers, Joe Garner and home debutant Ablade coming on for Plange and Maguire, before visiting boss Taylor made two further changes.

United's defending was sound as Shrewsbury looked for a late way back, before McCalmont replaced Gibson for the closing stages.

Mata went close with a header for the visitors, but Carlisle then broke in the fifth minute of added time to wrap it up.

Ablade, who had shown impressive pace already in his cameo, kept things alive on the left and when he crossed low into the box, Garner was the spare man at the back post and he finished clinically past Marosi.

News and Star: Joe Garner wraps up the pointsJoe Garner wraps up the points (Image: Ben Holmes)

There was no time for Shrewsbury to respond and Brunton Park roared its joy at the full-time whistle - while Feeney appeared to react angrily to Simpson in the post-match handshakes.

United: Andresson, Lavelle, Huntington, Mellish, Back, Armer, Guy, Moxon, Gibson (McCalmont 84), Plange (Garner 74), Maguire (Ablade 74). Not used: Holy, Harris, Robinson, Barclay.

Goals: Bayliss 57og, Garner 90.

Booked: Guy.

Shrewsbury: Marosi, Benning (Fleming 81), Anderson, Feeney, Dunkley, Winchester, Kenneh (Bennett 46), Perry (Sobowale 81), Bayliss (Mata 68), Udoh, Bowman (Phillips 68). Not used: Sraha, Watts.

Booked: Bowman, Feeney, Winchester, Anderson.

Ref: Ben Toner.

Crowd: 7,395 (304).