Carlisle United 1 Fleetwood Town 1: Carlisle United's return to League One saw them draw with Fleetwood after Owen Moxon's brilliant free-kick was cancelled out.

Midfielder Moxon curled United ahead in the 36th minute with a stunning set-piece.

But Brendan Wiredu volleyed the visitors level in first-half added time.

Neither side could claim a winner despite some big chances at both ends after the break in front of a 10,279 crowd at Brunton Park.

Jordan Gibson passed up a good opportunity for the Blues while Joe Garner went close late on - while, for Fleetwood, Promise Omochere and Jack Marriott failed to take chances to win it.

Both sides also had penalty appeals turned down by ref Peter Wright, who came in for criticism from both sides in an eventful contest.

It leaves United, who gave debuts to Luke Plange and Sam Lavelle, plus subs Dylan McGeouch and Sean Maguire, with a point on the board from their first third-tier game since 2014.

Plange went straight into Carlisle's attack with Ryan Edmondson ruled out, while Maguire was on the bench for his first United game.

Fleetwood's squad included Maleace Asamoah, son of ex-United favourite Derek, while they gave debuts to Danny Mayor and Ryan Graydon.

News and Star: Paul Simpson pictured before the gamePaul Simpson pictured before the game (Image: Ben Holmes)

Carlisle had some defending to do early on with Omochere's frontrunning a danger for Fleetwood, while Mayor carried the ball into some dangerous areas.

Captain Paul Huntington received an early booking for a high challenge on Graydon, but Carlisle grew into the first half and Fin Back was on the end of a couple of aerial half-chances.

Gibson, playing in attack off Plange, saw a shot saved by keeper Jay Lynch before some Fleetwood fans launched into a chant of "There's only one Andy Pilley", the club's owner who is serving a 13-year jail term for fraud.

Omochere could have opened the scoring on the break after Mayor had robbed Owen Moxon, but he could not find a way past Tomas Holy - and Carlisle's keeper then kept out a Josh Vela header.

Carlisle then put together some lively attacking moves, pressing hungrily, Gibson forcing a scrambling save from Lynch with Plange closed down at the rebound.

Jon Mellish had loud penalty claims turned down after a Vela challenge while, at the other end, Mayor's appeals for handball against Huntington were similarly waved away by ref Wright.

News and Star: Luke Plange in action on his debutLuke Plange in action on his debut (Image: Ben Holmes)

Carlisle came close on the half-hour when Huntington rose to win a Moxon free-kick and Omochere had to clear from underneath his own crossbar.

But then they did open the scoring in style, Moxon curling beautifully home from 30 yards as Brunton Park erupted.

It thrust the Denton Holme star back into the headlines after recent weeks of transfer and contract speculation.

And it was United's first goal at this level since Lee Miller scored at Peterborough United in April 2014.

News and Star: Owen Moxon curls homeOwen Moxon curls home (Image: Ben Holmes)

Carlisle remained on the front foot after their stylish opener, Gibson twice going close and Plange putting the visitors under pressure with a hard-working display.

But Fleetwood pounced in the fourth of six added first-half minutes as a Phoenix Patterson cross from the left broke to Wiredu in space, and he sent an unstoppable volley low past Holy.

Carlisle should have regained the lead soon after the second half got under way but Gibson miscued his volleyed finish when Back found him in front of goal.

Fleetwood lost Wiredu to injury and the tall figure of sub Shaun Rooney gave them a dangerous new outlet on the right.

And he was involved in a dangerous move which saw Vela break clear on the right and cross, but Omochere pulled his near-post shot wide from close range.

News and Star: Carlisle celebrate Moxon's goalCarlisle celebrate Moxon's goal (Image: Ben Holmes)

The hour mark then saw two announcements over the Public Address system warning about the throwing of objects from the Warwick Road End.

Carlisle then tried their luck through Gibson, who beat two men skilfully and tested Lynch from long range.

Fleetwood wasted a great crossing position after Graydon had beaten Huntington on the left, before Simpson made a double change for the last 20 minutes, Joe Garner replacing Plange and Maguire on for his debut at Alfie McCalmont's expense.

Visiting sub Jack Marriott could have given them the lead when he met a Rooney cross, but his volley lacked power.

Simpson sent on Taylor Charters and McGeouch for the closing stages, and Mellish was denied with strong penalty claims after cutting in from the left and going down under a challenge.

Huntington then headed a Guy free-kick over the bar from a decent position as Carlisle looked to finish on the front foot.

Fleetwood almost hit back, though, through Marriott, who was denied by a timely Lavelle sliding block.

News and Star: Sam Lavelle puts pressure on Fleetwood's defenceSam Lavelle puts pressure on Fleetwood's defence (Image: Ben Holmes)

Further changes included Asamoah junior coming on at his father's old ground, and he tested Carlisle with a run down the right which Huntington intercepted.

A minimum of 11 added minutes was then indicated, Carlisle going close in the sixth of those when Garner rose between two defenders and saw his header pushed over the bar by Lynch.

Fleetwood were denied a decision when Holy, after some indecision with Huntington, came out of his box to clear the ball, Asamoah hurt in the process.

And Cian Hayes saw a shot saved for the visitors as things ended level.

United: Holy, Lavelle, Huntington, Mellish, Back, Armer, Guy, Moxon (Charters 79), McCalmont (Maguire 69), Gibson (McGeouch 79), Plange (Garner 68). Not used: Breeze, Harris, Barclay.

Goal: Moxon 36.

Booked: Huntington, Mellish.

Fleetwood: Lynch, Johnstone, Nsiala, Earl, Wiredu (Rooney 49), Robertson, Vela, Graydon (Asamoah 87), Mayor, Patterson (Hayes 87), Omochere (Marriott 63). Not used: McMullan, Broom, Quitirna.

Goal: Wiredu 45.

Booked: Nsiala, Maguire, Brown (manager)

Ref: Peter Wright.

Crowd: 10,279 (423 Fleetwood fans).