Workington Reds 9 Penrith AFC 1: Workington Reds clinched the Fred Conway Cumberland Cup with an emphatic victory over Penrith at Brunton Park.

Obua Mugalula was the star with four goals as Danny Grainger's side sealed a promotion and cup double.

Ben Hughes also scored a hat-trick with Lewis Reilly and Lewis Moore getting further goals as Reds won the county senior cup for the first time since 2017.

Luke Hunter hit the consolation goal for Darren Edmondson's Penrith.

It capped a memorable four-day spell for Workington after their NPL West play-off final victory over Runcorn Linnets on Saturday.

They had far too much for Northern League Division One side Penrith at Carlisle United's ground.

News and Star: Workington's Obua Mugalula, right, celebrates one of his four goalsWorkington's Obua Mugalula, right, celebrates one of his four goals (Image: Barbara Abbott)

Favourites Workington went into the game seeking their first county senior cup win for six years, while Penrith were hoping to end a 13-year wait.

Reds boss Grainger made several changes to his play-off final side as he tried to clinch a promotion and cup double.

Both Grainger and Edmondson were back on familiar ground as former Carlisle players, with the game getting under way after a minute's applause in memory of late Cumberland FA chairman Fred Conway, who died last November and after whom the competition is now named.

Members of Mr Conway's family were guests of honour at the final.

News and Star: Workington celebrate their opening goal scored by Mugalula, second rightWorkington celebrate their opening goal scored by Mugalula, second right (Image: Barbara Abbott)

It was Grainger's side who quickly stamped their authority on the game, with Mugalula taking just two minutes to make his mark.

He opened the scoring after cutting in from the right before dipping a lovely shot over keeper Aaran Taylor.

Penrith narrowly failed to level when overlapping left-back Matthew Coombe slid a shot wide of the near post.

But they were punished again in the ninth minute when Matty Clarke’s cross was slid home from close range by Mugalula.

News and Star: Mugalula slides Workington's second goal past Penrith keeper Aaran TaylorMugalula slides Workington's second goal past Penrith keeper Aaran Taylor (Image: Ben Holmes)

Workington were making best use of the big Brunton Park pitch in the opening stages and, after Taylor denied Mugalula another, Grainger’s side struck a third on 18 minutes when Bobby Carroll fed Hughes to fire across Taylor.

Penrith then got what seemed a much-needed way back when, on the break, Alfie Brunskill fed Hunter, who cut in and fired an impressive shot past Reds keeper Danny Eccles which went in off the post.

News and Star: Luke Hunter (number 7) scores for PenrithLuke Hunter (number 7) scores for Penrith (Image: Ben Holmes)

Edmondson’s side grew in confidence after their goal and gave Workington some concerns, but the threat from Grainger’s side was always there, Mugalula inches away from another and Charlie Birch going close after a free-kick.

The game then went away from Penrith just before half-time, after DJ Taylor was dispossessed in the Reds box and Grainger’s side broke, Mugalula getting away from Jack Patrick before rounding Taylor to complete his hat-trick.

Reilly then made it five on the stroke of half-time, heading in a right-wing cross from point-blank range.

The second half’s opening minute saw Penrith’s Hunter test Eccles with a powerful shot from outside the box.

But Mugalula soon helped himself to a fourth at the far post after Penrith failed to deal with a cross from the right.

And Workington put their foot down again soon after when Mugalula led a rapid counter-attack before unselfishly squaring for Hughes to tap in.

Penrith kept going as DJ Taylor tried to create another consolation goal after the hour mark but Eccles smothered his cross.

News and Star: Reds boss Danny Grainger watches the action unfold at Brunton ParkReds boss Danny Grainger watches the action unfold at Brunton Park (Image: Ben Holmes)

Sub Greg McCaragher fired wide as Reds looked for an eighth, before Hunter was millimetres away from converting a Brunskill cross.

Workington then made their victory even more emphatic when Clarke set up Moore and the number 11 fired impressively into the top corner.

A fine Taylor save denied Clarke another Reds goal before Hunter went close for the Bonny Blues late on.

Hughes then went through to the left and chipped Taylor to bring up his treble and Workington's ninth as they wrapped up a convincing cup victory.

Penrith: A Taylor, Patrick, Coombe, Murray-Jones, Crews, Moynan, Hunter, Main, Brunskill, DJ Taylor, Brown. Subs: Reay, Murray, Prokas, Delaney, Morrison.

Goal: Hunter 21.

Workington: Eccles, Clarke, Leslie, Casson, Birch, Hubbold, Hughes, Carroll, Reilly, Magalula, Moore. Subs: McCaragher, Martin, Lester, Jerome, Rigg.

Goals: Mugalula 2, 9, 44, 50; Hughes 18, 54, 85; Reilly 45, Moore 80.

Ref: John Mulligan.

Crowd: 676.