Carlisle United 1 Fleetwood Town 1 (Carlisle win 4-2 on penalties): Carlisle United staged a late fightback to keep their Papa John's Trophy hopes alive.

Duncan Idehen's scrambled leveller in the 90th minute was followed by a 4-2 shoot-out win as Carlisle picked up a bonus point from their second northern group G game.

A goal early in the second half from Fleetwood's ex-Blues man Joe Garner had put United on the brink of elimination.

But Paul Simpson's side can still qualify from their group with one game to go after staging a strong late fightback.

The game came at a cost, though, with Omari Patrick going off injured in the first half.

On a brighter note, teenager Ryan Carr made his senior debut from the start with Nic Bollado, a substitute, impressing on his first-team bow as a sub.

The game was watched by 1,089 fans - Brunton Park's tenth lowest home crowd excluding Covid restrictions.

Carr got his chance as Simpson made nine changes to Saturday's XI.

Only Owen Moxon and Omari Patrick were retained from Saturday's team, as Michael Kelly, Sonny Hilton, Taylor Charters, Corey Whelan, Jack Ellis, Jayden Harris, Jack Stretton and Duncan Idehen all got opportunities.

Carr made a positive start in the right wing-back position, denied strong free-kick claims with a second-minute run which Josh Edwards ended with a slide just outside the box.

Cian Hayes was a bright runner from the right of the visiting attack and United needed Idehen to be at full-stretch to intercept him in the sixth minute.

Blues keeper Kelly then made two sharp saves, pushing a Brendan Wiredu header wide and then parrying a Shaun Rooney header when the latter was found unmarked from a corner.

News and Star: United score their late equaliser, which was credited to Duncan IdehenUnited score their late equaliser, which was credited to Duncan Idehen (Image: Barbara Abbott)

Fleetwood's best spell from there saw Carr show good timing to deny Edwards, before Garner wasted a headed chance and Hayes bobbled a shot wide.

United then improved as Stretton pounced on a loose Edwards pass and shot just wide, with Hilton and Patrick then seeing efforts saved after good Carlisle pressing.

Moxon whipped a free-kick just over the bar, before United suffered a fresh injury problem as Patrick went off in the 39th minute holding his left hamstring, teenager Nic Bollado making his debut as he took his place in attack.

Kelly then turned a Garner header against the post as Fleetwood came close, Bollado then teeing up Hilton for a low, blocked attempt before the break.

The second half's start was then delayed as Fleetwood keeper Stolarczyk took longer than the other 21 players to re-emerge, having changed jerseys.

And Carlisle were then caught cold in the first minute of the second period, as a Dan Batty corner was won by Rooney and Garner turned his header past Kelly to net against his former club.

Carlisle struggled to make headway after this, Fleetwood looking the stronger outfit, Brown bringing on the experienced Danny Andrew soon after their opener.

After the hour mark, Harris shot waywardly before backheeling Charters through to the left, the wing-back unable to finish the promising opportunity as his eventual cross was cleared.

News and Star: Joe Garner (hidden) puts Fleetwood in frontJoe Garner (hidden) puts Fleetwood in front (Image: Barbara Abbott)

Harris almost profited from a Toto Nsiala mistake as the midfielder grew further into things, and Simpson made a double change with jsut over 20 minutes remaining, Callum Guy and Jordan Gibson replacing Moxon and Carr.

Fleetwood also made a double change, Garner booed by some of the Blues fans as he went off, Whelan then sliding to block a Rooney shot after the visiting player got away from Charters.

Bollado then came very close to a first senior goal, firing millimetres wide of the top right corner as he confidently shot from the left.

Simpson sent on Jon Mellish for the final ten minutes as Carlisle tried to stay in the competition, and Guy came close to repeating Saturday's goal heroics with a rifled left-foot attempt which Stolarczyk had to tip wide.

Gibson had a shot blocked after Mellish and Bollado had worked the ball in from the left - and finally United's late pressure told as Whelan attacked a Guy corner, an almighty scramble followed, and Idehen appeared to get the final touch as the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line.

News and Star: Omari Patrick went off in the first half with a hamstring problemOmari Patrick went off in the first half with a hamstring problem (Image: Barbara Abbott)

That meant a penalty shoot-out to determine who got a bonus point, with Gibson hitting the bar with United's first attempt.

Callum Morton and Andrew netted for Fleetwood, Stretton and Whelan keeping Carlisle in it.

Kelly then saved from Batty, Mellish putting United in front and, after Vela hit the bar, Charters finished in style to win the shoot-out.

United: Kelly, Ellis, Whelan, Idehen, Carr (Gibson 68), Charters, Harris, Moxon (Guy 68), Hilton (Mellish 80), Patrick (Bollado 39), Stretton. Not used: Holy, Armer, Back. 

Goal: Idehen 90. 

Booked: Harris. 

Fleetwood: Stolarczyk, Devlin (Morton 79), Baker, Edwards (Andrew 53), Nsiala, Rooney, Wiredu (Raffie 68), Batty, Vela, Hayes (McMillan 79), Garner (Muskwe 68). Not used: Lynch, Teale. 

Goal: Garner 46. 

Booked: Nsiala. 

Ref: Rebecca Welch. 

Crowd: 1,089 (69 Fleetwood fans).