Forest Green Rovers 3 Carlisle United 0: Carlisle United were no match for Forest Green Rovres as the League Two leaders swept the Blues aside.

An own-goal from Morgan Feeney put the hosts in front at the break, before Matty Stevens and Jamille Matt sealed defeat for Keith Millen's side.

It extended an unbeaten run to 14 league games for Rob Edwards' team - whilst ending United's spell of five undefeated.

Carlisle struggled to create more than half-chances against the table-toppers as they slipped a place to 20th in League Two, still eight points above the relegation zone.

United boss Millen handed recent signing Joel Senior his first start at right-back, in the absence of the injured Kelvin Mellor at the Fully Charged New Lawn.

That was the only change to the starting XI, though Millen had attack duo Zach Clough and Sam Fishburn back on the bench after injury.

Forest Green boss Edwards named an unchanged side from the XI he selected for their fog-curtailed midweek game against Mansfield, top scorer Stevens having signed a new deal on the eve of the game, and midfielder Ebou Adams away on AFCON duty with the Gambia.

The home side forced the first serious chance when Kane Wilson crossed from the right and found Nicky Cadden in space, but the side man scuffed his finish at Mark Howard.

Forest Green looked to use the width of the pitch against a Blues side which included Jordan Gibson behind main frontman Tyrese Omotoye, with Omari Patrick on the left and Brennan Dickenson the right. 

Patrick almost set up a chance for Gibson when he burned past his man, but the cross was cut out.

And Carlisle then went behind when the hosts spread the ball to the left and when Cadden ran at Senior and crossed, Feeney's attempted interception only succeeded in diverting the ball past Howard and into the net for the 16th-minute opener.

Senior produced good skill to almost tee up Omotoye as United tried to respond, while Stevens failed to convert a near-post chance for the hosts.

Gibson sliced wide from a great position for United after being picked out by Dickenson, but the offside flag was up in any case.

At the other end, Matt rose free to head a free-kick towards goal, but Howard was well placed, and the keeper also held a Stevens shot from 25 yards.

Carlisle failed to make the most of a penalty-box scramble after a free-kick, Forest Green then mounting one of a number of quick counter-attacks, Cadden testing Howard with a low attempt.

Moments later, Matt held off Rod McDonald as Jake Young went through to shoot wide, before Omotoye failed to make the most of an opening to the left of goal.

United reached the break a goal behind, the hosts having seldom seriously threatened a second and with the Blues needing to make more of their own opportunities in a contest that was often even.

But their task increased just eight minutes into the second half as Forest Green struck their second.

After a Blues attack broke down, the hosts switched the ball to Young, who was able to attack space on the right of the box before teeing up Stevens to drill his 19th of the season past Howard.

The dangerous Young came close to a third from distance, before Senior, cutting in well, saw a shot blocked for the Cumbrians.

Millen made a double change on 68 minutes, sending on Lewis Alessandra and Fishburn for Omotoye and Dickenson.

Forest Green, though, forced more opportunities, Matt testing Howard and Stevens sending a free header over the bar.

Carlisle were seriously short of chances against the leaders, Jon Mellish failing to beat Luke McGee from a tight angle after combining with Fishburn, and Alessandra missing the target when picked out at the back post by Patrick's cross.

And then Edwards' side made the points completely safe when, after a Baily Cargill run, the ball was fed to Matt who was clean through to drill low past Howard.

Millen sent Clough on for the closing stages but the home side wer comfortably on top, almost adding a fourth through a Cargill header and Carlisle largely on the defensive as things approached the end.

Forest Green: McGee, Wilson, Cargill, Moore-Taylor, Godwin-Malife, Stevenson, Hendry (Diallo 85), Cadden, Young (Aitchison 64), Matt (Sweeney 80), Stevens. Not used: Thomas, Bernard, Edwards, March.

Goals: Feeney 16og, Stevens 53, Matt 77

Booked: Cargill.

United: Howard, Senior, Armer, McDonald, Feeney, Guy, Mellish, Dickenson (Fishburn 68), Gibson (Clough 78), Patrick, Omotoye (Alessandra 68). Not used: Norman, Devine, Riley, Whelan.

Booked: Armer, Guy.

Ref: Craig Hicks

Crowd: 2,864 (267 United fans)