Carlisle United 0 Harrogate Town 2: Carlisle United equalled an unwanted club record as they went five straight home league games without scoring as relegation fears grew.

George Thomson and Alex Pattison struck in either half to give Harrogate Town victory at Brunton Park.

United had their chances with Brad Young hitting the post and later missing a good chance.

But Keith Millen's toothless side extended the longest winless run in the EFL to 12 games as they remained second bottom of League Two.

It was another desolate night in front of just 3,172 supporters at the Blues' ground - with some fans in the Warwick Road End chanting "sack the board" in the second half.

Blues boss Millen made two enforced changes, with Jon Mellish ruled out as he started a three-match ban, and Jack Armer sidelined with injury after going off in the first half of Saturday's defeat at Exeter.

That meant an immediate return for captain Callum Guy after his one-match ban, while Zach Clough earned a recall.

Harrogate's side included two changes, Thomson and Jack Muldoon coming in for Simon Power and Danilo Orsi following their home defat to Salford at the weekend.

Mark Howard saved Thomson's tame effort early on while Jack Diamond and Pattison failed to make the most of good positions after positive runs.

United then came close on nine minutes when Clough crossed and Young rose to head it against the left-hand post.

Carlisle continued with their passing game as they looked for openings, but serious chances from here were scarce as Harrogate defended solidly.

Jordan Gibson went close with a 30-yard daisy-cutter and Tristan Abrahams shot over the bar, before, at the other end, Thomson had an effort blocked.

Harrogate then ended the half positively and after Muldoon failed to beat Howard with a free header, they went in front on the stroke of half time.

It came as left-back Dickenson failed to cut out a pass and Thomson pounced to drive it low across Howard.

United should have levelled four minutes into the second half when Guy drove towards the edge of the box and put Young clean through, but the Aston Villa loanee slotted the chance past the right-hand post.

Clough was next to go close on the hour mark, dribbling into a good position but missing the target.

Harrogate sat back in protection of their lead as Carlisle tried to find a way back, Millen sending on Sam Fishburn and Manasse Mampala for the last 20 minutes.

Mampala was denied with a penalty appeal as he went down when competing for a Clough cross, while the latter saw a shot saved by Mark Oxley after attacking a Dickenson cross.

Harrogate then broke and doubled their lead on 78 minutes when Howard parried a low shot and Pattison was first to the rebound, slamming the effort into the net at the Waterworks End.

United were now totally devoid of hope and impetus, Taylor Charters the final arrival from the bench as Armstrong went close to a Harrogate third and Corey Whelan was denied by a goalline block in added time as the Cumbrians slumped to a defeat which kept them in the relegation zone.

They are two points adrift of third bottom and five of fourth bottom after 18 games. 

United: Howard, Mellor, Dickenson, McDonald, Whelan, Guy, Devine (Charters 85), Gibson, Clough, Abrahams (Fishburn 68), Young (Mampala 68). Not used: Simons, Dinzeyi, Feeney, Bell.

Booked: Guy.

Harrogate: Oxley, Page, Sheron, Hall, Burrell, Falkingham (Power 82), Thomson, Pattison, Diamond, Armstrong, Muldoon (Kerry 72). Not used: Cracknell, Orsi, Ilesanmi, Williams.

Goals: Thomson 45, Pattison 78.

Booked: Sheron, Burrell.

Ref: Sebastian Stockbridge.

Crowd: 3,172 (84 Harrogate fans).