Workington Town 36
Doncaster 12

Town got off to the perfect start in the play-off final as a Jamie Doran weaving run sent Joe Brown through to score after just one minute out wide.

Carl Forber converted and two minutes in Town were 6-0 to the good.

Town then made 90 yards on their return set until a penalty for offside gave Doncaster a relieving penalty. Dec O’Donnell was then sent to the bin for a late shot. Doncaster made the man count immediately with a try from Liam Johnston to level the scores after six minutes as Beharrell converted, 6-6.

The sides then traded sets for six minutes before a penalty sent Town up the pitch. From this they worked a gap well despite still being a man down to go over 20 metres out on 15 minutes, making it 12-6 to Town.

Donny’s Ben Cockayne was then penalised for incorrectly playing the ball on the last tackle as Town started on their own 40. A nasty “chicken leg” tackle on Brad Holroyd halted play momentarily but Holroyd was okay to go again.

Town then fronted up well until a penalty for obstruction sent Doncaster to 20 out. Town then held the Dons out and got a seven tackle set for their efforts. The West Cumbrians began to turn the screw as a Doran kick forced Doncaster to shepherd the ball into touch, giving Town more possession. O’Brien held out as did as Ethan Bickerdyke.

An apparent one-on-one ball steal was penalised as Doncaster started on the Town 40. A monstrous hit by Rhys Clarke on Ben Cockayne saw the former Super League man knock on 30 out. Town were then awarded a six again for lying on; Doncaster did defend resolutely to keep Town at bay.

Workington were then awarded a high shot on Clarke and forced a repeat set from a Doran kick. A strong run came from Fitszimmons and Clarke, the latter producing a beautiful pass to Forber who went over on 33 minutes, converting his own try to take Town to an 18-6 lead.

Town then made 95 yards from kick off as Forber found touch deep in the Dons half. Forber intercepted the ball to no avail as Henson was pulled for incorrect play. Doncaster then lost 10 yards from a wayward pass but did make a score from it as Oliver Greensmith scored out wide, Beharrell converting on the hooter for 18-12 to Town.

Town produced the first error of the second half with a forward pass from Carl Forber on 44 minutes. Town then held out the Dons and thwarted Cockayne. Town then forced an error from Taulapapa.

Town scored from a deaf from Henson he followed it through to drop on it and score on 48 minutes. Forber converted after the ball clattered off the upright to take the score to 24-12 after 50 minutes.

Town then went the length but dogged defence threw Alex Young unceremoniously into touch, leaving the winger needing treatment but was good to go.

Town forced the issue with great defence until Doncaster broke well and a penalty sent the Yorkshiremen to within 25 metres of the Town line. Town then conceded a penalty for a lazy arm but the pressure was relieved as the Dons knocked on.

Workington then conceded a penalty for a ball steal and the Dons threw a Harlem Globetrotter-type pass that went four yards forward. Town made the Dons 40 before turning the ball over, Brad Holroyd making a try-saving tackle on Jason Tali.

The Cumbrians put in a huge swirling kick and Missi Taulapapa couldn’t collect, giving Town a fresh set. But Forber couldn’t collect a high pass as the Dons went the distance but were held up on 63 minutes.

Town defended well and survived again. Cockayne kicked out in the tackle, sparking a coming together that was put on report.

Doncaster got a full set on the Town line on 67 minutes. The referee then gave Town a penalty for dissent from Doncaster, which followed a further penalty for hands in at the ruck. Town scored again through Marcus O’Brien and with nine minutes to go Forber converted for 30-12. Zac Olstrom was then nearly in but a foot in touch prevented it from being a dream try.

Doncaster then knocked on and Holroyd went through to score and seal the game. Forber then added the extras to confirm a perfect afternoon with the boot (6/6) and send the bumper 2,000 crowd into pandemonium.

Head coach Chris Thorman said: “The win was very much for the fans and volunteers. We spoke about the processes and the boys stuck to it to get the win in the end. Commiserations to my good friend Rich (Richard Horne)”.

WORKINGTON TOWN: 2 Holroyd, 5 Young, 31 Brown, 24 Bickerdike, 31 Olstrom, 6 Doran, 7 Forber, 25 Lightowler, 9 O’Donnell, 14 O’Brien, 8 Fitzsimmons, 12 Barnes, 13 Dawson; Substitutes 23 Henson, 33 Clarke, 11 Singleton, 17 Wilson.

Doncaster RLFC: 28 Taulapapa, 18 Halliday, 3 Smeaton, 4 Tali, 32 Greensmith, 36 Sweeting, 7 Beharrell, 30 Braham, 6 Cockayne, 10 Douglas, 23 Johnson, 19 Ollett, 11 Foster; substitutes: 22 Holdstock, 1 Johnston, 26 Whitmore, 27 York.

Referee: Tom Grant.

Attendance 2,089.