Carlisle United 2 Fleetwood Town 1: Brad Young and Manasse Mampala got the goals as Carlisle United's reserves started their Central League Cup campaign with victory.

Aston Villa loan striker Young rifled home the opener early in the second half.

And after Fleetwood fought back to level through Danny Edwards, ex-Everton man Mampala struck the Blues' winner 10 minutes from time.

The game also saw Arsenal loan defender Jonathan Dinzeyi make his first appearance in a United shirt.

He played the full 90 minutes, having spells at centre-back and right-back, in a side which included first-team fringe men, young pros and youth players.

Gime Toure, Taylor Charters, Morgan Feeney and Lewis Bell were among those to figure.

Not involved, though, were Josh Dixon, Danny Devine and Gabe Breeze.

The outing on the training pitch at Brunton Park saw the Cumbrians on top in the opening stages.

Young could have had an early goal after robbing the Fleetwood keeper but the visiting No1 got back to recover.

Mampala and Charters had efforts saved before Jack Ellis, overlapping from right-back, narrowly failed to convert after Dinzeyi had picked out Bell with a good diagonal ball.

Keelan Leslie, who is still training with United whilst on loan at Workington Reds, tested the Fleetwood keeper from outside the box with Young, Bell and and Toure then going close for Carlisle.

Fleetwood's young side, though, had the better of the first half's closing stages and could easily have scored on numerous occasions.

United keeper Scott Simons made a good save as a Cod Army attacker broke onside to the left of goal, and the young gloveman saved another deflected attempt from the visitors, who had more efforts blocked as Dinzeyi threw himself in the way of one goalbound attempt.

Fleetwood were then denied strong penalty claims after a Dinzeyi challenge shortly before the break.

United, with head coach Chris Beech joining coaches Gavin Skelton and Mark Birch, switched Dinzeyi to right-back at the interval, Ellis moving into the middle of defence.

Fellow centre-back Feeney headed a cross from left-back Max Kilsby against the crossbar before United finally went ahead.

And it was teenage top-flight prospect Young who made the 52nd-minute breakthrough, latching onto a long ball behind the defence and, though the initial chance seemed to have gone, Young showed persistence to cut back inside from the left of goal before scoring with a confident finish.

Toure failed to double United's lead before Fleetwood hit back on 63 minutes when Feeney was beaten to a bouncing ball on the Blues left, and the visitors switched the ball across to Edwards, who checked back inside before slotting past Simons.

Dinzeyi and Ellis then reverted to their original positions and United were the dominant side in the closing 20 minutes.

Toure almost restored the lead when he crashed a shot against the bar after a weaving run on the right.

The French attacker then fed Mampala, who did make it 2-1 as he rifled low inside the near post from the right.

Toure had two further chances while defender Kilsby was booked for a late challenge in the closing stages.

It saw United off to a winning start in a competition which saw them reach the national final at St George's Park last season.

They will also face away games against Preston and Morecambe in this season's group stage.

United: Simons, Ellis (Barnett 82), Kilsby, Feeney, Dinzeyi, Leslie, Charters, Bell, Toure, Mampala, Young. Not used: Boyd, Taylor, Watt, Carr.