Workington Reds collected the points but picked up more injuries from their third clash in eight days against Marine.

With three more players hurt, and two of them having to leave the field, it heaped even more pressure on Chris Willcock’s ailing squad.

It’s all especially worrying as there’s even less time to recover before going into action this afternoon at Clitheroe in what will be the NPL West’s match of the day.

Clitheroe are top, having played a game more than Reds, who will go there in second place after scoring their third win in three league games on Saturday.

Willcock said: “When I came we had a full squad of talented players and in a fortnight it’s more like a hospital A and E department.

“We will just have to assess what we have ahead of the game and without taking unnecessary risks see what we come up with.

“To be truthful I would have taken any sort of win on Saturday. It was a bitty game, with few chances and it looked like two tired teams in the end.

“The big thing from my point of view is that we won again and kept a clean sheet, which is something I’ve gone on about since I came into the club.”

Willcock also gave debuts to two new signings who had been registered on Friday night.

Experienced defender Kyle Harrison, 26, has played for Farsley, Hyde, Guiseley, Ramsbottom and Widnes and he came on as a 63rd minute substitute, slotting in at right-back.

Former Republic of Ireland youth international Rowan Roche, 21, released by Blackpool last year who has played on loan at Bamber Bridge and FC United of Manchester was given the whole 90 minutes.

Reds had got off to a flying start with a goal on four minutes. Matty Clarke’s run down the right produced a good low cross which Scott Allison missed completely with a fresh air shot. But it ran loose to Iyrwah Gooden and his returned ball into the box found the unmarked Brad Carroll who scored from close range.

Goal-scoring opportunities were few and far between for both sides as both defences were on top throughout but there was a chance for Marine late in the half.

David Raven had stayed forward from a cleared free kick and when the ball was put back in he turned sharply but scuffed a shot from close in straight at keeper Jim Atkinson.

Marine enjoyed most of the possession in the opening 20 minutes of the second half but never seriously tested Atkinson.

The best move of the half came from the hosts when Brad Hubbold released Clarke and his pull back would have left Allison with a tap in but James Devine got there ahead of him to hack clear.