Penrith took their next step in the build up to the new season with a home trial game against Preston Grasshoppers.

They were not sure how powerful a side Preston would bring but it turned out to be a strong one with only a handful of first team squad members missing. Subsequently a19-10 defeat was a very good effort by the Cumbrians.

Last time out Preston played two levels higher but this season they are only in the league above but are clearly setting their stall out to bounce straight back up.

Preston started the game at a high tempo and Penrith gave them a little too much respect and rather stood off them and let them play.

As a result they spent most of the opening 15 minutes on the back foot defending and it was no surprise when the visitors scored a well worked try from half-way through their nippy backs.

This seemed to act as a wake-up call for the Cumbrians got into their game and matched the visitors and then began to spend some time in possession of the ball rather than chasing shadows. They spent some time in the attacking 22 and both Jay Rossi and JJ Key threatened the opposition line. Penrith had earned parity with this good Preston side and at half time trailed by only five points.

Penrith had by far the better start to the second half and with half an hour to go thoroughly deserved their try to draw level.

Key, playing at number eight, broke from the base of the scrum, fed George Graham who put Jamie McNaughton away and he made the half break before setting Rossi up for a try in the corner.

There was little to pick between the sides as the game wore on but this was Preston's second game and that showed as they scored two tries from quickly taken penalties in the home side's 22 catching them a little cold.

Penrith however finished the game strongly and scored a good team try with the final play of the gamefrom an attacking 5m line-out. The driven maul from a line-out went to ground and after a series of drives close to the breakdown Ben Cochrane went over in the corner.