Promising Cumbrian youngsters helped England score an age group double in Wales.

The Under-16’s won 34-18 while the Under-17’s triumphed in a tougher contest 16-10, with both games played in Colwyn Bay.

Hensingham’s Scott Egan started on the bench for the Under-16’s but scored a double after coming on, notching tries at the start and end of the second-half to cement the England victory.

The Kells trio of Oscar Doran, Fynn Wright and Ashton Sice all started the game along with Hensingham’s Logan Holgate. Seaton’s Ellis Nixon was among the used substitutes.

This game was closer than the scoreline might suggest, but England took an early lead with a Jayden Billy try and Oliver Whitford converting.

Wales hit back when Josh Hanson eventually made it over the line. On 23 minutes Billy added a second try and then Ellis Welburn added a third for England, with Whitford’s goal attempt hitting the post giving England a 10 point advantage at half time.

Ben Morris put Wales right back in it with a try after the break, before Cumbria’s Scott Egan gave the Lions breathing space with a try in the corner.

Wales’ Issac Morgan sprinted half the pitch to touch down under the sticks and converted his own try to narrow the gap to four points.

Next up was a try for England’s Jack Edge, and yet again Wales wouldn’t let got and Morgan Farmer-Gratton grabbed a try back.

But the game was put beyond doubt with a late try from Ryan Joseph and a final try from Hensingham’s Egan in the last minute with Sonny Cooper converting.

Kells players Blane Graham and Jack Ainley figured in the starting pack for the Under-17’s with Evan Foster of Ulverston among the used substitutes.

After tries for Wales from Harri Ackerman and Scott Pritchard, and a Billy Walkley conversion were matched by Lions’ tries from Jay Richards and Evan Stephenson, and a Connor Gannon conversion, the game looked to be heading for a draw at 10-10.

Then skipper and full-back Ryan Wood trailed the middle of the field, zipping through on a support run before rounding his opposite number to score from forty metres, and Gannon converted with five minutes left on the clock.

England held on for a close, close win.