Spectators flocked back to Derwent Park yesterday – but unfortunately it wasn’t quite the homecoming they were looking for as Town narrowly lost out by two points to Doncaster.

At 16-0 down at half time it looked as though Town could be blown away, but all credit to them they came back in the last 40 minutes and forced their opponents all the way to the line.

Doncaster came out of the blocks with intent against Town, who felt the impact as they could find no way through their opponents.

Even though at one point Doncaster were down to 11 men with two in the sin-bin, Town could not get a break.

Ross Peltier came on to the field as a sub and just moments later had an immediate impact.

When he was handed the ball close to the line he made no mistake in barging over, with Beharrell adding the extras.

Gabe Fell slipped up, fumbling the ball close to his own try line from a high kick, and Doncaster were given advantage again.

They were ready to test Town’s defensive line, and it was Beharrel who turned and twisted his way over the line to extend the away side’s lead but he could not convert this time.

Town showed the odd glimpse of what they are capable of but with errors creeping into all parts of the game they looked to struggle.

And with five minutes of the half remaining Doncaster were in again. Thomas Holiday was allowed to sneak in by the corner flag and Beharrel was on form with the kick from the touchline, and it was the visitors who led 16-0 at half time.

Into the second half and Town gave the fans what they had been missing – something to cheer about.

Going close to the line Stevie Scholey powered forward and crashed over the line to give the home side hope of a comeback with Carl Forber tagging on the two points.

This seemed like the lift Town needed as, when Doncaster fumbled close to their line, they pressed forward again.

This time it was Matty Henson who provided the spark as he picked up the ball from dummy half and forged over, Forber converting to narrow the gap to just four points. Game on.

The terraces erupted when the ball was whipped out to the left and Alex Young dived for the corner. Forber missed from the touchline but the scores were level once more at 16-16.

It didn’t last long, though, as Doncaster got field position from a Town mistake and they capitalised, Alex Holdstock stretching out an arm to score and Beharrel converting.

And two quick-fire penalties close to the sticks moments later swung momentum back towards Doncaster and left Town with an uphill battle in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Caine Barnes then put himself in a great position, and twisting out of an initial tackle he then carried defenders over the line with him.

Forber just missed with the conversion and Town were six points adrift of their visitors.

Inside the final two minutes a try for Joe Brown set up a tense finale as the crowd fell silent for Forber’s kick at goal. But as it sailed narrowly wide of the target it was game over and Doncaster took the narrowest of wins.


Town: Fell, Holroyd, Brown, Wellington, Young, Doran, Forber, Fitzsimmons, O’Donnell, O’Brien, Barnes, Singleton, Dawson. Subs (all used): Scholey, Moore, Clarke, Henson.

Tries: Scholey 42, Henson 46, Young 55, Barnes 70, Brown 78

Goals: Forber 2/5

Doncaster: Taulapapa, Holiday, Smeaton, Tali, Greensmith, Boas, Beharrel, Mudoti, Wilkinson, Whitmore, Foster, Ollett-Hodgson, York. Subs: Johnston, Peltier, Fala, Holdstock.

Tries: Peltier 15, Beharrel 19, Holiday 34, Holdstock,

Goals: Beharrel 5/6

Sin Bin: Foster, Smeaton.

Referee: Michael Mannifield

Half time: 0-16. Attendance: 942

Star Man: Caine Barnes.