Brighouse earned a point from the last kick of the game but it was Workington boss Danny Grainger who admitted it was Reds who were lucky to get the draw.

That late strike cost Reds the top spot in the Northern Premier League's North West Division, but in truth the west Cumbrians rarely looked like league leaders.

Under Covid-tier restrictions, no away fans were allowed and as far as Workington supporters are concerned it was a good one to miss!

There was just one positive period – the first 15 minutes of the second-half – when Reds turned a 1-0 interval deficit into a 2-1 lead.

Whether it was because of their manager’s stinging half-time comments still ringing in their ears, it certainly worked.

The major disappointment was they couldn’t maintain that increased tempo and eventually paid the price with a last gasp equaliser for the hosts.

Reds, of course, are still unbeaten in the league, but the performance against a side lying second bottom will have provided much food for thought.

Brighouse were young and enthusiastic, with one or two skilful ball players, but who generally liked to get the ball forward early and caused Reds a few problems in doing so.

Their first goal was a fine finish. The initial free-kick from Jack Boyle was blocked by the Reds wall but it fell invitingly into the path of Danny Racchi, who scored with a fine 15-yard shot drilled into the top corner.

The goal that earned the point at the end of 94 minutes was a scrambled affair after Reds had been unable to clear a right-wing corner, with the lively Javelle Clarke finishing from close range.

Reds' equaliser on 47 minutes was immediate justification for Grainger’s half-time substitutions as the two combined to set up the goal.

Matty Clarke danced outside full-back Jack Tinker and whipped in a quick, low cross which was met by Scott Allison who teed-up Reuben Jerome to score with a tap-in.

The second goal came on 59 minutes and again Allison was involved, lifting the ball into the danger area for Sam Smith to head home.

Smith had actually been closest to getting Reds on terms in the first half. His initial header on 19 minutes was headed off the line; Brad Carroll’s follow-up was blocked on the line and when Dav Symington moved in for the kill his effort was blocked by young 'keeper Jacob Carney.

Then later in the half it was Smith again at a corner who got in a sharp downward header which was hacked off the line.

But if Reds had gone close so too did the hosts. Reds 'keeper Jim Atkinson had to make two fine saves in the closing stages to keep Reds ahead and Dan Wordsworth produced an heroic point-blank block on the six-yard box to do likewise.

Yet in all the late mayhem, Reds could have sealed the game. Jerome was put clear but with Carney to beat he could only shoot straight at the home 'keeper.

Brighouse Town: Carney, Tinker (Mohammed 53), Reed, Grant, Harris (Wilkinson 21), Beedon, Clarke, Haigh, Sorhaindo (Hay 69), Racchi, Boyle. Subs (not used) Smith, Church.

Goals: Racchi (12), Clarke (90+4).

Workington: Atkinson, Kelly, Brockbank (Clarke 45), Wordsworth, Smith, Casson, Symington (Holt 83), Carroll, Jerome, Lightfoot (Allison 45), Tinnion. Subs (not used) Bowman, Potts.

Goals: Jerome (47), Smith (59)

Referee: Neil Howlett

Crowd: 192

Star man: Dan Wordsworth