Carlisle United 2 Southend United 0: Omari Patrick and Joshua Kayode scored as Carlisle United returned to winning ways on a day supporters returned to Brunton Park.

In front of 1,000 fans, attending the game as part of an EFL test event, Chris Beech's side scored two quickfire goals before the break.

Patrick sent a deflected effort past keeper Mark Oxley in the 36th minute.

And three minutes later fellow frontman Kayode scored with a good low finish after a superb run from Gime Toure.

The attacking trio were key to Carlisle's improved performance as they then safely saw the victory home in the second half to get Chris Beech's side off the mark in League Two.

They could have added more goals against an insipid Southend side with Oxley twice denying Aaron Hayden with superb saves.

Sub Lewis Alessandra also went close in the second half with Mark Molesley's visitors unable to summon much in the way of attacking threat.

Much of the focus was off the pitch in the build-up, with Carlisle the first of seven EFL games to welcome back 1,000 fans.

Supporters were back in the Main Stand, Paddock, Pioneer Stand and Warwick Road End, observing the club's social-distancing requirements and other safety measures.

It was the first time fans had been back at the ground for six months, and they saw a scrappy start to the game which saw a few defensive wobbles early on.

Southend, though, could not take advantage and United improved around the half-hour mark, Kayode almost sneaking onto a weak backpass at the Waterworks End.

One of several long throws by the striker was then met by Hayden, who was denied by a fine Oxley save, while Callum Guy had a free-kick blocked.

Carlisle were now on top, with recalled Dean Furman putting in an influential display at the base of their midfield, and they took the lead when a corner was cleared as far as Patrick, whose shot spun into the left of the Southend net.

It was his first goal of the season and was soon followed by a second, when Toure's inspired work down the left, which took him past two opponents, was followed by a composed shot by Kayode which went low past Oxley.

The tricky Terrell Egbri on the Southend right almost forced a way back for Molesley's side as Paul Farman spilled a shot, but United survived.

And there was little sign of a fightback from the Essex side afterwards, with Kayode almost making it three and both Oxley and the offside flag denying Nick Anderton.

An Anderton run set up Jon Mellish for a shot that cleared the bar, while Carlisle survived another Egbri cross.

Alessandra, on for Mellish, then rifled a shot narrowly over and Oxley then superbly kept out another Hayden header from a further Kayode long throw.

Beech brought on Ethan Walker for his home debut with 15 minutes to go with Gavin Reilly also introduced, and Preston loanee Walker missed his kick with a late volleyed chance - but Carlisle were comfortably the better side as they secured their first points and clean sheet of the 2020/21 campaign.

United: Farman, Tanner, Anderton, Hayden, McDonald, Furman, Guy, Mellish (Alessandra 70), Toure (Reilly 84), Patrick (Walker 74), Kayode. Not used: Dewhurst, Devine, Hunt, Riley.

Goals: Patrick 36, Kayode 39

Booked: Anderton

Southend: Oxley, Bwomono, Ralph, Taylor, McCormack (Gard 60), Hobson, Green, Goodship (Kinali 81), Egbri, Hutchinson, Kelman (Clifford 71). Not used: Seaden, Phillips, Rush.

Ref: Graham Salisbury.

Crowd: 1,000.