AN FA Cup win in north Yorkshire helped erase the one blot on Danny Grainger’s CV in management.

A year ago Reds crashed out of the competition to a late penalty at Newcastle Benfield and Grainger, despite a highly successful first season in charge, has felt the pain since.

But safely through to this afternoon’s first qualifying round draw, Grainger has laid his bogey and can concentrate – for a week at least – about getting off to a winning start in the NPL North West Division at Pickering on Saturday.

Reds had won 4-1 at Manse Lane two years ago in the same round of the competition, and although a goal shy this time, it was equally well-deserved.

The Cumbrians dominated possession throughout and limited the hosts to three opportunities, one of which they took to level the game after 11 minutes.

If there was a criticism it would be that for all the time they had the ball, the number of chances created was minimal by comparison.

Plenty of balls were fired into the box, particularly in the first-half, but most were claimed by goalkeeper Sam Lee or blocked by defenders.

Matty Clarke, in particular, and Liam Brockbank were always good outlets for the Reds and the pair actually created the two goals in the first-half.

After nine minutes, in which Knaresborough had hardly seen the ball, Clarke burst down the right past the last defender before whipping in a low cross which was tucked away by Conor Tinnion.

Late on, with just three minutes left in the half, it was Brockbank who lifted a ball in and Tinnion rose well to beat the central defender and head on. Scott Allison collected and steered the ball past Lee for the half-time lead.

Knaresborough had levelled just two minutes after falling behind but there was an element at off-side about the goal.

A ball over the top was gathered by Toby Harris, who went on to lift the ball over Jim Atkinson, and despite protests from Sam Smith and his fellow defenders the goal stood.

Their only other chance in the first-half came when Brad Walker cleverly evaded two challenges on the edge of the area before curling allow shot past Atkinson but beyond the far post.

Tinnion and Allison both had shots blocked in the home box after good work from Ruben Jerome, who is becoming a key figure with his hold-up skills.

Reds looked comfortable in the second-half but did not produce much to trouble Lee and co -but the third and clinching goal on 78 minutes was, in some ways, worth waiting for.

It’s not an exaggeration to say that if TV cameras had been there studio pundits would have been drooling for minutes. Lovely one touch football out on the right with Clarke, Tinnion and Allison involved ended with Reds’ goal-scoring centurion finishing clinically for game, set and match!

There was just one late opportunity for the home side to make it a tense finish but Tom Dugdale, left on his own beyond the far post, fired over the bar.

Knaresborough Town: Lee, Powis, Milsom, Thirkell (Youhill 70), Anderson, Kidd, Wicks (Dugdale 45), Parkes, Harris (Ward 72), Walker, Carr. Subs (not used), Bedford, Stevens-Neale.

Goal: Harris (11)

Workington: Atkinson, Clarke, Brockbank, Wordsworth, Smith, Casson, Potts (Hebson 74, Lightfoot 81), Hubbold (Carroll 56), Jerome, Allison, Tinnion. Subs (not used) Kelly, Bowman, Atkinson, Robertson.

Goals: Tinnion (9), Allison (42,78)

Referee: Ali Majid

Crowd: 255