Oldham Athletic 3 Carlisle United 0: Carlisle United paid the price for first-half defensive flaws as they were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by Oldham.

The Cumbrians were their own worst enemies as the Latics moved into a two-goal lead before the break.

Ben Garrity was allowed a free header as he converted a free-kick in the 29th minute.

And a mix-up between Nick Anderton and Rod McDonald then saw Bobby Grant go clean through to make it two on 37 minutes.

United improved after the break and sub Gavin Reilly missed a great chance to halve the deficit.

But Carlisle could not find a way back and went down to a second cup defeat in the space of five days, as Conor McAleny capped the hosts' win with a late third.

Boss Chris Beech made two changes to his side, Dean Furman getting a first start against his former club with Callum Guy returning from suspension.

They came in for Danny Devine and Reilly, as fit-again Omari Patrick and Jack Armer joined the bench although Joshua Kayode remained absent through injury.

Furman shot over early on for the Blues while David Keillor-Dunn tested Paul Farman with a curler.

Garrity then took advantage of a marking lapse to put Harry Kewell's side ahead. 

Lewis Alessandra and Callum Guy had attemps for United but things got worse when Anderton's attempted pass back to McDonald turned into a perfect through ball for Grant, who went clear to beat Farman.

It was just reward for an Oldham side who had often turned Carlisle's defenders in the first 45 minutes with the crossbar denying Cameron Borthwick-Jackson a third just before the break.

Beech brought Reilly on for Furman at the break, as Carlisle switched from 4-1-4-1 to 4-4-2, and the Cumbrians applied some better pressure, with Gime Toure often their main outlet.

Aaron Hayden was denied with a header while further Toure runs did not yield a finish from team-mates.

Reilly should have halved the deficit on 75 minutes when picked out by Guy after a short corner, but he missed the target with his free header in front of goal.

Alessandra dipped a later chance over the bar but Carlisle, despite spending plenty of the second half in Oldham's half, couldn't fashion anything else, and then McAleny went through to the right to drill a low shot through Farman's legs in the final minute and send Harry Kewell's hosts into tomorrow's second and third round draws.

Oldham: Lawlor, Borthwick-Jackson, Jombati, Piergianni, Garrity, Hamer, Whelan, Keillor-Dunn (Barnett 81), Fage (Dearnley 73), Grant (Da Silva 90), McAleny. Not used: Woods, Rowe, Jameson, Hough.

Goals: Garrity 29, Grant 37, McAleny 90.

United: Farman, Tanner, Anderton, Hayden, McDonald, Mellish (Armer 83), Guy, Furman (Reilly 46), Riley (Charters 71), Toure, Alessandra. Not used: Dewhurst, Devine, Hunt, Patrick.

Booked: Anderton, McDonald, Hayden.

Ref: Carl Boyeson.