Carlisle United will face Harrogate Town for the first time next season after two former Blues helped the Yorkshire side into the EFL.

Assistant manager Paul Thirlwell, the ex-United skipper, helped oversee their National League play-off final victory over Notts County at Wembley yesterday.

And former Blues striker Mark Beck came off the bench late in the game as Harrogate claimed a 3-1 victory at the national stadium.

The win saw Harrogate follow Barrow into the Football League, having finished runners-up to the south Cumbrian outfit in the curtailed non-league season.

George Thomson and Connor Hall put Simon Weaver's Harrogate in command at half-time before Callum Roberts pulled one back for the Magpies.

Jack Diamond then wrapped up victory in the final, which was played behind closed doors at Wembley due to coronavirus restrictions.

It capped a positive day in Thirlwell's coaching career, the former United man having been with Harrogate since 2015 following his Blues departure.

The ex-Sunderland and Derby man, 41, made 265 appearances for the Cumbrians from 2006, leading them to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2011. He also had a short stint as joint caretaker manager after Graham Kavanagh's dismissal in 2014.

Striker Beck, 26, came through the youth ranks and made 77 first-team appearances, scoring 10 goals for the Cumbrians.

Despite Harrogate's promotion, it may not mean a first trip to their CNG Stadium for Carlisle, as EFL rules state the Yorkshire club must now replace their current 3G pitch with a grass surface. This could see Harrogate begin the new campaign at another ground.

Fixtures for the new season - due to start on September 12 - have not yet been confirmed.

Harrogate's promotion means the League Two line-up for 2020/21 is almost complete.

The remaining issue to resolve concerns the appeal to be heard on August 11 against sanctions imposed on Macclesfield.

If their existing two-point punishment over the late payment of wages is upheld, last season's bottom side Stevenage will be relegated, but the Hertfordshire side are hoping for a reprieve.