If their previous outing against Prescot Cables was considered a scrappy, gritty affair, this one had a bit of everything.

Workington Reds played some outstanding football at times against Ossett United on Saturday, with goals from Scott Allison and Dav Symington securing a vital three points.

But they were also made to work hard on an emotional day at Borough Park, where a crowd of 372 observed a minute’s silence in memory of former director Dave Wilson, and legendary ex-player Jimmy Moran, following their deaths at the ages of 61 and 84 respectively.

Fourth-bottom Ossett showed they were no pushovers in the opening exchanges, deploying a high pressing game in a bid to stop their hosts playing out from the back. But the home side soon began to exert their dominance.

On eight minutes, left back Cole Lonsdale fired in a low cross, but Brad Hubbold, sliding in at the near post, couldn’t quite connect, and the ball was cleared.

From the resulting corner, centre back Dan Wordsworth rose at the far post to power a header against the post.

Bombing forward from full back on 15 minutes, Clarke slipped the ball down the right flank to Symington before moving inside for the return pass, and his shot across the face of goal was cleared off the goal-line.

Midfielder Casson, catching the eye with his range of passing and composure on the ball, had a shot deflected wide from the edge of the area on 17 minutes.

Skipper Brad Carroll was another excelling in midfield, and on 21 minutes, he made a darting run into the area but couldn’t quite pick out Allison.

There were mild appeals for a Workington penalty on 25 minutes when the livewire Millenic Alli went down in the area, but referee Alex Beckett ruled the defender had played the ball.

On the half-hour mark, Sam Smith’s low cross from the left was well held by visiting keeper Scott Maloney, with Allison ready to pick up the rebound.

On 35 minutes, Alli linked up with Casson before forcing the keeper into another save.

The Reds made their breakthrough on 41 minutes. Allison spread the ball wide right to Clarke before making a run to the near post, and meeting the return pass with a fine low finish across the keeper from eight yards.

Workington doubled their advantage early in the second half with a superb breakaway goal on 49 minutes.

From an Ossett corner, Casson showed strength to carry the ball out of defence before sending Alli away down the left with a well-flighted ball.

With Reds’ players pushing forward in numbers, Alli rolled the ball inside for Symington to finish with ease from 10 yards.

On the hour mark, Ossett almost found a way back into the game when substitute Brodie Litchfield struck the crossbar with an inswinging free kick from the left.

It was the start of a good spell for the Yorkshiremen.

Aaron Haswell fired high and wide on 63 minutes, before home keeper Jim Atkinson was called upon to make several vital saves.

On 81 minutes, Workington failed to clear a high ball and visiting striker Tom Greaves found himself through on goal, but Atkinson came rushing out to thwart with a strong right hand.

Five minutes later, Litchfield cut inside from the left, and spotting Atkinson off his line, attempted a high curling shot from 25 yards. But the home keeper got up well to fingertip the ball over the bar.

The closing stages saw Allison miss a gilt-edged chance, but his blushes were spared by the offside flag.