Workington Reds are on their way into the Integro League Cup third round as it stands with a 1-0 lead against Mossley after a dominant first half.

It is a chilly night at Borough Park, with 180 hardy fans making their way down for the second-round tie, but Reds started hot with a goal inside three minutes.

David Symington, who scored two in the 4-0 league win against Prescot Cables three days earlier, swung in a cross with his right foot and Charlie Bowman rose to nod it into the far corner with Mossley goalkeeper Theo Roberts wrongfooted and unable to keep it out.

A darting run from Jamie Hill earned Mossley a free-kick after six minutes when he clattered into Jordan Little just outside the box but Gary Gee sent the ball well wide of Jim Atkinson’s goal.

The next opening came for the hosts when right-back Aidan Howarth made inroads down the right and blasted a cross into the danger area which Roberts had to palm away in the 13th minute.

They almost doubled their lead a minute later when a corner sent into the six-yard-box deflected off a huddle of bodies but the visiting goalkeeper was able to claim the bouncing ball.

The away side were pressing for a leveller and they had an opportunity from a corner when Gee fired a powerful shot which deflected behind.

The resulting delivery should have been put away by Simon Lenighan but was floated into the arms of the grateful Atkinson after 20 minutes.

Seconds later Reds were surging forward on the break and space opened up for loanee Taylor Charters to try his luck for Workington, only for his tame shot to roll into Roberts’ arms.

The visitors were forced into an early change when Jesurun Uchegbulam was introduced for Ryan Brooke after 23 minutes.

It was Reds’ turn to threaten from a free kick on the edge of the box next after 28 minutes.

Symington and Charters fancied their chances but, as the latter tried a low effort, the wall cleared easily.

Reds were well in control, with Liam Brockbank proving to be a threat from left back, and they had an opportunity to increase their lead from a corner after 32 minutes but, as the ball fell to the feet of Jordan Little, the centre back curled his shot wide.

Another fine Howarth cross after 35 minutes was planted firmly on the forehead of Robbie Hebson and the winger’s header back across the face of goal was on-target but straight at Roberts.

Young Luke Ivison was sniffing out pockets of space on the break and looking to feed his team-mates for chances to make their dominance count.

Charters was also growing into the game and drew a save with a daisy-cutter from 20 yards just before half time.

But Mossley almost found their way back into the tie on a rare foray forward when Uchegbulam cut inside from the left and drove a fierce shot at Atkinson in the last opening of the half.