Keswick Rugby Club are off the bottom of North One West after their first win of the season.

They won the basement battle with Warrington 12-6 to move above their opponents in the league table.

Early on, the two sides were well-matched, attacking in a similar manner and also defending well, although both teams were finding ball retention more difficult than they would have liked.

On 11 minutes, the Keswick forwards made a number of pick and drives around the ruck but, unable to make progress, Matty Roper passed the ball to George Holme. From about seven metres, he powered through three tacklers to touch down for the try which Paul Ireland converted.

The newly-installed electronic scoreboard was able to register the opening score for Keswick, who found themselves in the lead for the first time this season.

Poor handling and other errors kept Warrington too close to Keswick's line for comfort, and a kick through and chase was shepherded out beyond the dead-ball line, inches ahead of the chasing opposition players.

Winning possession at the other end, Joe Quail was stopped just short and the recycled ball was then carried over the try-line, but the well-positioned referee adjudged the ball held up.

While Warrington were having difficulties in attack, their defence was among the best Keswick had faced this season, and the half ended with the hosts leading 7-0.

Resorting to a kicking game in the second half did Keswick few favours, as Warrington’s game improved and their backs put together some good runs.

Only a superb tackle from Roper when facing a two-man overlap prevented a certain Warrington try and they spent the first 10 minutes after the restart pressing Keswick who saw the penalty count against increasing.

On 49 minutes, a penalty centre field was converted by Warrington to reduce the deficit.

The game then ebbed and flowed, as both sides attacked until a handling error gifted possession to the opposition.

It was still 7-3 as the game hotted up in the last 10 minutes.

A deliberate knock forward allowed Keswick to kick to the corner and the ball was caught in the line-out by Christian Sellars. He passed straight to James Hinkley, running around from the front, and he took three tacklers with him in a well-prepared move to cross for the game’s second try.

A penalty for offside inside the Keswick 22 was then converted by Warrington for 12-6 but, despite late pressure, they were unable to breach the home defence.

Elsewhere, Penrith lost more ground on the leaders when they were beaten 39-29 at home by Northwich.

* Keswick's bottom-of-the-table clash with Warrington began with one minutes’ silence in memory of their former player, James Addyman, who had lost his inspiring battle against cancer.

It was a gesture matched at a number of clubs in Cumbria and also further afield.

Corstorphine, in Edinburgh, was one as they have been regular opponents of Keswick over the years.

There was a minute’s applause at Billingham where Carlisle, another of James’ former teams, were in action.