For Workington’s long-suffering fans, it just gets better and better.

Saturday’s FA Trophy success in Staffordshire, beating Leek Town 3-1, was the Reds’ third win in eight days and there’s been a step up in quality from game-to-game.

No wonder Danny Grainger’s men are picking up quite a fan club from the teams they beat.

Tadcaster’s management waxed lyrical about Reds over their two defeats to the Cumbrian side and, in the latest Trophy success, Leek officials described the Workington performance as "sublime".

The way that Grainger’s young, reshaped squad has bought into his methods has been impressive, and former Carlisle United captain Grainger feels there is still room for improvement.

Top of the league, and through to the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy, that is quite a statement which sends out a clear message to the rest of the NPL North West Division.

Reds are so comfortable in possession, whether deep in their own half building from Jim Atkinson in goal, or further forward making inroads into the opposition’s defence.

Against Leek, it was the midfield trio of Ceiran Casson, Brad Hubbold and Conor Tinnion who set the tone, with a mix of drive, skill and energy that Leek just couldn’t handle.

Especially in the second half, Reds controlled the game and the possession stats must have been phenomenal.

They had also dominated the ball in the first half without creating a stack of chances and had to turn around all-square at 1-1 at the break.

They couldn’t have wished for a better start, taking the lead with only four minutes played. Tinnion played a short corner to Hubbold out on the right and his deep cross was headed home by Dan Wordsworth.

But the home side responded well and were level four minutes later. Rob Stevenson broke down the right and his low ball into the box wasn’t cleared properly. Tim Grice profited by driving a shot past Atkinson from eight yards.

Lee did have the ball in the net again when Stevenson fed Grice, but the flag was raised well before the striker shot past the Reds keeper.

But that was about it from Leek as an attacking threat, although Reds couldn’t make their possession count at the other end.

Nathan Waterston did well on one occasion, ghosting past full-back Louis Keenan and a fine low cross fizzed invitingly past the goal with no-one there to apply the finishing touches.

Hubbold and Symington both had efforts from the edge of the area comfortably taken by home keeper Danny Roberts.

Eight minutes into the second half, Reds regained the lead and, from that point, they never seriously looked like being pegged back.

What a smashing goal it was, too.

Good build-up saw the ball played into the area where Hubbold, with his back to goal and a defender providing close attention, spun cleverly and a curling left-footed shot found the net via the angle of post and bar.

Seven minutes later, it really was over when Reds scored a third.

A Symington corner was powerfully headed home by Jordan Little to cap a hugely satisfying full debut.

There could have been more goals, too.

Twice, Waterston showed good control to cut in from the left and fire in low shots which Roberts had to get down to smartly.

Then, a fine sliding tackle by Leek substitute Darren Chadwick denied Waterston again as he raced onto a clever ball from Tinnion.

Atkinson did have to make a low save to hold on to a shot from Grice late on, but that was his only serious bit of work in the second half.

Grainger even had the luxury of bringing on 16-year-old defender Aidan Howarth for the last nine minutes, three of which was added time.