Carlisle Rugby Club's poor away form let them down once more as they slipped to a 44-20 defeat at North Premier strugglers Alnwick.

After the win over Blackburn, there was hope recent defensive frailties laid bare on the road had been sorted but, once again, Carlisle had nothing to show for their efforts on their travels.

Neither side made much impact in the first 15 minutes, although Carlisle did lose winger Dan Holmes in the first real action of the game. He was carried off with a serious ankle injury.

Alnwick scored first on 17 minutes as they pushed up deep into the Carlisle 22 and span the ball quickly left, allowing their winger to go over for an unconverted try.

Eight minutes later, a Carlisle box-kick out of defence was charged down and the Alnwick full-back was quick to gather the ball and go over for a converted try.

Just after the half-hour mark, Grant Connon converted a penalty after Alnwick strayed offside at the breakdown.

Just before half-time, Carlisle then closed the gap further when a line-out on the Alnwick 22 gave the visitors a chance to really test the home defence for the first time.

Swinging the ball wide left, Connon managed to slip between two defenders, then stepped the full-back for Carlisle’s first try, which he converted to make it 12-10 to the hosts at half-time.

Carlisle briefly snatched the lead a minute after the restart, as another simple penalty opportunity was presented to Connon in front of the posts.

That lead didn’t last long, however, as the Alnwick full-back took the opportunity to bag his second try on 48 minutes to restore the lead.

Alnwick's next score came as they broke out of defence, with a kick chase turning the Carlisle players on their heels, scrambling back to defend as Alnwick piled forward. Unfortunately, they did so illegally as judged by the referee, and James Brocket received a trip to the bench for 10 minutes, Alnwick extending their advantage from the resulting penalty.

Carlisle were still in the game at the hour mark, even though Alnwick ticked off another penalty to make it 23-13.

As Carlisle pressed forward into the Alnwick 22 looking for an opportunity to get close, the home outside-centre latched on to a pass across the Carlisle backs, hared up the park and went over before anyone could chase him down.

Alnwick continued to heap misery on the visitors as weak defensive tackling let them through again for a converted try.

Carlisle did respond, striking at pace down the right, with Connon going over for his second try with 10 minutes left.

Unfortunately for the Cumbrians, though, that would be the end of Carlisle’s chances as Alnwick scored their sixth try.