Workington registered a third win of the season against Hunslet - and a fourth successive victory over the south Leeds outfit - despite having only 15 fit players, and finding themselves level at 12-12 at the break after having led 12-0 up on 25 minutes.

Town simply brushed the home team aside, themselves having only 14 men to pick from in the second period after a hand injury to Adam Robinson, an ankle knock to Simon Brown and concussion sustained by Dan Hawksworth.

Nor was Hunslet’s cause helped by the sin-binning midway through the second period of Nathan Chappell for dissent after his side had gone close to scoring on a last-tackle kick.

But there was no denying Workington’s superiority, which was founded on a heavier pack - and backs - and a solid work ethic, with Andrew Dawson particularly shining.

Town also owed a debt to Jamie Doran, who was drafted in at full-back as coach Chris Thorman shuffled his depleted troops, and who was superb throughout, particularly with his kicking game.

Hunslet were caught offside in the first minute but Stevie Scholey knocked on at the first play.

The hosts went close with their response, winger Gareth Potts driving to the corner where referee Tom Crashley ruled a forward pass.

Town’s first incursion into Hunslet territory saw Doran find touch in the home 20.

After Hunslet had driven the ball into the Town half, Workington drew first blood when loose forward Sam Hopkins crashed through and found Declan O’Donnell on his shoulder.

The scrum-half raced unopposed to the posts from 30 metres, scrum-half Carl Forber adding the extras.

As the rain began to fall, Town’s heavier forwards were beginning to make yards, but spilled ball led to Hunslet being granted a penalty at the resultant scrum.

Fuifui Moimoi was then penalised for holding down, only for Hunslet to be sanctioned for an incorrect play-the-ball.

Danny Tickle forced Charlie Martin to spill possession when driving the ball out but Carl Forber was penalised for obstruction in the next attack.

Hunslet thought they had levelled on 19 minutes, but loose forward Michael Emmett was penalised for double movement. Jimmy Watson was then unable to keep hold of the ball under a three-man tackle and Workington were given their fourth penalty when the support was obstructed after hooker Sean Penkywicz, another telling figure, had broken through.

From the territory gained, prop Moimoi crashed over, Forber adding his second goal.

Hunslet opened their account when Robinson and Joe Sanderson combined to give Straugheir the chance to charge over from ten metres.

Sanderson added the extras from wide out but, when the hosts attacked again, Chappell’s pass to Potts drifted into touch.

Penkywicz similarly saw a pass drift out of play before Perry Singleton went close off O’Donnell’s pass.

O’Donnell pounced gratefully on Chappell’s kick as the contest swung both ways, Town then being awarded a penalty for a high tackle.

Penkywicz forced Watson into conceding a goal-line drop-out with a superb kick, only for winger Jonathan Walsh to spill the drop-out.

And Hunslet made Walsh pay, hooker Vila Halafihi and substitute Ryan Wright linking to send second row Charlie Martin through a huge gap as the interval hooter sounded, Sanderson adding the extras from 20 metres to the left of the posts.

Town were back in front, however, within a minute for the restart, Doran’s telling last-tackle kick leading to Moimoi crashing over, Forber adding the extras.

Hunslet, though, hit back immediately, bundling Walsh over the goal-line at the restart and, from the kick, registering a try for Halafihi, who held off Doran in an arcing run.

Sanderson was unable to convert and, after Chappell had been sin-binned, a testing last-tackle kick by O’Donnell led to Aiden Hema knocking on in his own 20 on 67 minutes.

The visitors scored from the next play, Tom Curwen crashing over from a dummy-half pass by Penkywicz that the home crowd felt strongly was forward.

Forber’s conversion from in front of the posts stretched Town’s lead to eight points and the mood of home supporters wasn’t improved when Halafihi had a try ruled out for offside – especially when Singleton broke away at the restart to cross under the posts, Forber maintaining his 100 per cent return with the boot.