West Wales Raiders 12 Workington Town 58: Workington Town eased to a 58-12 over West Wales Raiders in Llanelli on Saturday with their 10 tries all coming from different players.

Town never really entered second gear, but they didn’t need to. They did enough to win the game, despite their many errors that would cost them a lot more against a higher-placed side.

They gave away eight penalties and seven scrums, however, the home side let through 11 of each in what was an error-strewed affair.

Raiders had an early chance to take the lead after winning a penalty 30 metres out. However, a dropped ball five metres from the line halted that opportunity.

But when Town went on the attack, they took the lead. Gordon Maulding found a gaping hole in the Raiders’ backline and easily ran 10 metres to score. Carl Forber converted.

From kick-off, they doubled the score. No Raiders’ player had the answer to Fuifui Moimoi’s strength as he burst past the backline. No issues again for Forber.

A short kick-off worked well for Raiders as they regained possession from kick-off and they nearly scored. Steve Parry was held a metre from the line on the final tackle of the set.

Neither side could get a breakthrough. As soon as they got closer than 10 metres to the line, either slippery fingers came in, or there was an offside, and the chance was lost.

As frustrations started to boil over, the referee stopped his watch on 25 minutes to give Raiders a team warning for persistent offending, and now was the time for Town to take advantage. Stevie Scholey was close, but from the next tackle, Sean Penkywicz dived over. Forber converted.

Town scored their fourth on the half hour. Perry Singleton was on the end of a good passing move, straight from a scrum on Raiders’ 10-metre line. Forber’s kick looked to have gone over, but the touch-judge’s thought differently and Town were 22-0 up.

Both sides continued to drop the ball in this unentertaining first half, but after winning a penalty on Raiders’ 40-metre line, there was time for Scholey to run through for Town's fifth of the half. Forber converted again and Town were healthily 28-0 up at the break.

Town had an early second half try chalked off for a forward pass but after Raiders gave away a penalty for offside, Ryan Fieldhouse twisted his way over the line for a try that Forber improved.

Then, on 51 minutes, Raiders finally broke their duck for what was the best try of the game. Phil Cowburn broke from the halfway line, offloaded to Ashley Bateman who lost the ball under pressure, but Cowburn was on hand to pick up the loose ball, score under the sticks and convert his own try.

From their next set, Raiders won a goal-line drop-out as they kept Town under pressure, but after mishandling, again, the visitors were given the ball back.

Then, following another Raiders dropped ball, this time in their own half, and a penalty from the next tackle, Declan O’Donnell crashed over underneath the sticks. Forber easily converted.

From kick-off, a Welshman finally got on the scoresheet after Sam Hopkins used a nice bit of skill to catch his own chip and run to the line for Town’s eighth try of the afternoon.

Forber kicked the goal, then set up the next try, opening up a gap for Oliver Wilkes to easily run through and score his 100th career try. Forber converted.

Raiders weren’t giving up. They won another goal-line drop out and continued to put on the pressure.

Steve Parry was held up over the line and from the next tackle, Morgan Evans ran through a hole in the Town defence. Cowburn converted.

But after Town won the ball from kick-off, they went over from their 10th and final try of the afternoon as debutant Blain Marwood eased his way past the tiring home defence with his first touch of the ball for the club after another good Forber offload.

The man-of-the-match converted to cement the win.

Match Facts

Raiders: Cowburn, Baker, Connor, Evans, Smith, Parry, Hunt, Evans, Rice-Wilson, Herron, Snook, Kaye, Bateman. Reps: Desmond-Walker, Celerino, Walker, Maiden

Tries: Cowburn (51), Evans (70)

Goals: Cowburn 2/2

Town: Fieldhouse, Walsh, Wellington, Singleton, Doran, Forber, Moimoi, Penkywicz, Wilkes, Maulding, Scholey, Tickle. Reps: Hopkins, O’Donnell, Curwen, Marwood

Tries: Maulding (9), Moimoi (12), Penkywicz (26), Singleton (30), Scholey (38), Fieldhouse (46), O’Donnell (60), Hopkins (63), Wilkes (66), Marwood (72)

Goals: Forber 9/10

Attendance: 321

Penalty Count: 8-11

Ref: Paul Marklove

Star Man: Carl Forber