Workington Town gave a spirited performance at Leigh Sports Village before ultimately crashing out of the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup.

A number of former players returned to their old paymasters but it wasn’t to be a happy return for Carl Forber, Sean Penkywicz, Sam Hopkins and Danny Tickle.

Workington made the worst possible start, shipping in 12 points in the first eight minutes as Mitch Cox and former Whitehaven man Gregg McNally got over the line.

It was a profitable afternoon for ex-Kells full-back McNally, he scored three tries overall.

Workington finally put some pressure on the Leigh line after ten minutes and won a penalty following a late hit on Forber. Unfortunately for Town, after getting sight of the line, Hopkins lost the ball after Penkywicz caused havoc.

Town held firm for the next few minutes until Leigh moved the ball right and Cox forward rolled into the corner for his second try.

Woods hit his third goal. Workington Town returned to basics with Forber and Jamie Doran pushing Leigh back with some long kicking.

It was after the half-hour mark when Town next saw attacking possession. Inspired by benchmen Andrew Dawson and Tom Curwen, they began to compete better.

Dawson went close and two tackles later Penkywicz kicked forward, Ryan Fieldhouse reacted and handed on for Danny Tickle to go in after 34 minutes. Forber goaled brilliantly from wide out and it was 18-6.

A couple of minutes from the break Workington went wide but the defence combined to force Calvin Wellington off the field.

Leigh then cut loose with a try from Josh Eaves ran to the posts. Woods fourth goal for a 24-6 half-time advantage and the Centurions scored a superb try two minutes into the second half when Woods ran on the last tackle, debutant Brad Holroyd found support and the ball eventually reached James Bentley to score. Leigh led 30-6.

Another Centurion try wasn’t long in coming as Woods ran through the middle.

Town replied with a threatening move but Russ Bolton was brought back in the act of scoring for an earlier forward pass.

Holroyd then scored for the Centurions and Woods continued his fine kicking form and it was 42-6. Town’s Sam Hewitt was then denied a try following a good kick from Doran.

Just before the hour, McNally sliced through for his second, then in the 64th minute, Workington sprung down the right and Caine Barnes burned off Ian Thornley from a Fieldhouse drop-off before Forber supported and goaled to make it 46-12.

Town carried on their defiance before Dec O’Donnell was sin-binned for holding Joe Cator down after 67 minutes.

And how Leigh took advantage. McNally started, and finished for his hat-trick. Luke Douglas got over from Woods kick and the halfback kicked his 9th goal.

Workington almost scored through Fieldhouse, but Leigh finished strongly and passed 60 points with a late score from Ian Thornley.