After a glorious week, true to form, the Cumbrian weather turned nasty, resulting in just three of Saturday’s Eden Valley Cricket League games reaching a conclusion.

All four Premiership games started but ended early: Kirkby Stephen (227/7) had put themselves in a strong position against Lanercost when rain stopped play; Chris Scarr (91), Ross Jackson (54) and Dan Todd (41) with the bulk of the runs, Ben Allen (3/54) best of the bowlers.

Temple Sowerby (156/9) with Callum Burton (62) closed with two overs remaining. Rockcliffe's bowlers sharing the wickets were Jonathan Musgrave (2/8), Ashley Wills (3/30), Dave Colombi (2/37) and Josh Stirling (2/33).

Threlkeld 72/6 were in some trouble when the rain came. John Phillips (31) top scored, Callum Donald (3/30) and Jack Proudlock (3/42) sharing the wickets.

Scotby (110/0) after 21 overs would be somewhat aggrieved their game ended early after such a good start.

In Division One, the only game to produce a result saw Appleby celebrate their return home after three years with an 81-run victory against Carlisle 3rds.

Appleby (236/8) were struggling at 92/6 but a partnership of 98 for the seventh wicket between Josh Brabbins (52) and father Phil Brabbins (74no) and a late flourish with Adam Knowles (21) took them to an imposing total. Stan Mcalindon (2/33) and Charlie Hutchinson (2/20) were best with the ball.

Carlisle responded positively with an aggressive knock from Charlie Walker (59). A middle-order collapse ensued and late knocks from Zach Du Plessis (25) and Matty Smith (22) merely delayed things as the innings closed at 155. Josh Bellas returned figures of 4/27, a welcome return after his finger injury.

Credit to both teams for keeping going despite the unpleasant weather. Mention too for Maurice Winder, the Appleby groundsman in producing a wicket in keeping with Appleby tradition – no mean feat after a three-year absence.

Edenhall (116/7), with Tim Holliday (30no) not too comfortable when play finished, Jim Litherland (4/22) and Ray Cuneen (3/11) doing the damage.

Wetheral (177/1) with Marco Oliver (88no) and Richard Timperon (52no) were in the box seat when rain intervened.

Keswick's 2nds (33/8) in dire trouble at Langholm; Dave Steele (4/12) and Tony Steele (3/7) doing the damage, Dan Craghill (19) offering some resistance.

In Division Two, Nunwick made 150/5 with Tony Bennett (44), James Tweedie (35) and Jackson Fletcher (28 no). Steve Percival (3/53) was best with the ball.

Nunwick edged home against Caldbeck 2nds (111/10) with a ball to spare, James Tweedie (3/36) taking the last wicket, Dave Booker (2/6) from his eight overs.

Gamblesby (123/2) enjoyed an eight-wicket win over Irthing Vale (122/10). Darren Coleman (3/13) and Andrew Benson (3/31) did the damage, John Forrester (54no) leading the reply.

Lanercost 2nds (149/1) with Daniel Cottrill (69no) and Nathan Brown (62no) were heading for a large total against Braithwaite when the rains came.

Sunday fared little better with three games washed out.

Nevertheless, we had the first tie of the season. Dumfries (196/5) posted a competitive score thanks to Mat Williams (51 ret) and Adam Malik (54 ret) giving them a great start.

Keswick 3rds, chasing hard, owed much to Karl Link (50) and son Oscar Link (50) as they managed to tie the scores off the last ball. For Dumfries, Sean Thornley (5/17) did his best to deny the home side.

Appleby’s new drainage system proved itself in allowing the game against Wigton 3rds to go ahead.

Conditions were perfect for the 2pm start.

After a slow start, Wigton (191/7) with John Reed (49), Zachary Oldham (48 no) and Tony Ward (40) set Appleby a stiff target which they were unable to reach.

After a decent start with Carl Hodder (39) to the fore, the middle-order collapsed and it was only a maiden half-century from Jack Hutt (58 no) that took Appleby to 159 all out. George Spark (4/34) and Dan Wilson (3/45) did most of the damage.