Workington Town’s attempt at a second-half comeback wasn’t enough to overturn a 22-point half-time deficit against Coventry Bears.

The home side kicked off at the wide Broadstreet ground - their temporary home while the pitch at Butts Park is being relaid.

Town looked powerful in the middle as they took the ball upfield with Fuifui Moimoi driving hard. A kick on the final play of the set took the away side close, but offside was given.

Although the Bears came more into the game, a good move resulted in a try for Town courtesy of Scott Rooke on the far side of the pitch, converted by Isaac Ferrell.

This promising start soon began to falter, as a young and fit Coventry side stepped up a gear.

Coventry were keen to respond and Man of the Match Nick Newman gave a foretaste of what was to come with a neat layoff to start a move which he finished, but was held over the line by a desperate Town defence.

Newman was to the fore with a quarter-of-an-hour gone as he set Jacob Jones free to score in the middle. Newman duly took his first conversion to level the scores.

Three minutes later, Newman was set free in the middle of the park to race over and then convert.

The Bears pressure was relentless, causing great problems for Town, but they came back and thought that Jonathan Walsh was over the line to equal the scores but no try was given.

Kieran Sherratt pierced through the Town ranks before passing to Kam Pierce Paul who crashed over for the Bears, with another successful conversion following.

The Bears’ lead was extended further as an interception just five yards out from the Bears line by Newman was followed by a spectacular full length of the field run for a try he duly converted.

The Bears cruised into a comfortable lead just before half time as Reece Rance crossed over on the far right, making the conversion a little too difficult.

With a 22-point deficit to make up, Town had to start the second half well to have any chance in the game.

Coach Chris Thorman’s half-time talk seemed to have done the trick as Jonathan Walsh crashed over after a dazzling break from defence. Farrell’s conversion added the extras.

After a powerful Moimoi carry-out, Ryan Fieldhouse finished a flowing move with a try.

The conversion narrowed the gap still further, but comeback hopes were dashed when Elliot Hall ran the full length of the pitch to score a try in response, with Newman’s conversion again on target.

Five minutes later, Jacob Jones scored another long-range try, and Newman’s conversion made it 40-18.

But Town weren’t going to give in as Jamie Doran added to the away sides score with nine minutes left.

Newman’s drop-goal tormented Town and ate into the remaining minutes but there was still enough time left for Workington’s Rooke to add a little more respectability to the final score, but it really was too little, too late.

All the damage had been done in the first 40 minutes.