Cleator Moor Celtic had mixed fortunes from their recent two away games in the North West Counties League.

They lost for the third time this season to Manchester side Prestwich Heys, going down 2-0 but were successful on their trip to Atherton Laburnum Rangers, winning 3-0.

Celtic started brightly at Prestwich but were forced into an early change after a bad challenge left Darren Little injured so young Thomas Houghton replaced him after only 20 minutes.

James Dwyer hit the bar with keeper Craig Devine beaten, but on the half hour mark a long ball over the top caught out the Celtic back line. Lee Bruce collected and rounded Devine before slotting the ball home.

Two minutes later the home side doubled their lead as a free kick was fired in and Lee Grimshaw headed home.

Stuart Shaw had efforts saved by the home keeper just before thee break and he also had a shot blocked early in the second half.

Celtic had plenty of the ball in the second half but just could not find a way through a solid home defence.

For the game at Atherton, Celtic travelled with a rather depleted side as they had no recognised central defenders. But It showed early on as Shaw and Divine were involved in a mix-up which they got away with, and they almost took the lead when Thomas Houghton hit the post. The youngster had started after an impressive game in mid-week.

Minutes later Callum Birdsall fired the Cumbrians in front with a superb strike and then Aaron Kelly shot high and wide of the Atherton goal.

Tom Mahone had a good shot blocked while Ryan Hall put a free kick over the bar, before the move of the game deserved better. Josh Charlton and Mahone linked-up well to bring Campbell into the play and he found Hall whose shot was weak.

ButAnd Celtic were rewarded just before half time when a mistake in the home defence let in Birdsall, and he punished the home side with his second goal.

Craig Divine was first into action in the second-half with a save from Seico Camara before Mahone, Birdsall and Campbell had shots off target.

Ryan Hall picked up a bad injury from a challenge which went unpunished and he won’t play again in the closing matches.

Celtic, however, wrapped up the points with their third goal. When a free-kick was fired in keeper Daniel Havern saved but Birdsall pounced on the rebound to claim his hat-trick.

Thomas Ward also left the field and it looks as though he could miss the remaining games but Celtic were thoroughly deserving winners from their last Saturday away trip.

Celtic host Bacup Borough on Saturday (3pm) before the local derby at Carlisle City (Thursday, April 25, ko 7.30) before ending the season on Saturday 27 with a home game against Daisy Hill.