Gainsborough Trinity 4 Workington Reds 1: Workington learned another hard lesson at the Northolme as they slipped further into Evo-Stik Premier League trouble.

Although they had more overall possession, and as many opportunities as Trinity, their flakey defending and the home side’s clinical finishing decided the contest.

In many ways, it wasn’t a 4-1 game but the final scoreline doesn’t lie and there’s now even more ground to make up over the next four months.

Gainsborough are a capable side and will fancy their chances of making the play-offs, but this is not a season brimming with outstanding candidates, which makes Reds plight even more disappointing.

Even when Reds went 2-0 down after 52 minutes, they looked to be still in the game.

But two goals inside five minutes during the final quarter settled it and ended the Cumbrians' little run of two unbeaten games away from home.

The first half was fairly even, with Gainsborough starting much the better and Reds finishing on top. 

Unfortunately for Workington fans, the only goal had gone to the hosts.

That came on 19 minutes and was the climax of Trinity’s positive start, in which Sam Smith, had cleared off the line. 

Keeper Aaran Taylor had been well-placed to hold a stinging shot from Ioan Evans and Josh Calvert had got back to rob Damian Reeves when he looked a certain scorer.

Ashley Worsfold was allowed a shooting chance in the area off a rebound and, with the help of a deflection, it flew past Taylor into the far corner.

Yet that was it as far as the hosts were concerned in the first half, and a series of near-misses frustrated Reds up to the break.

Niall Cowperthwaite, Reds best throughout in a hard-working display, surged forward to let fly from 25 yards and home keeper Jon Stewart had to use all of his 6ft 4ins frame to go down full-length and push aside for a corner.

His next save was even better as Conor Tinnion curled in a trademark free-kick around the wall and was across to tip round the post.

Then, right on half-time, an awkward bouncing ball in the area wasn’t cleared and, in the scramble that followed, Calvert stuck out a foot but lifted the ball on to the roof of the net from close range.

Reds were also in determined mood at the start of the second half and Tinnion curled another free-kick wide.

Jordan Holt did well to dispossess full-back Ben Gordon on the edge of the area and went on to shoot just wide.

So, it was a slap in the face when Trinity scored from virtually their first attack.

Alex Byrne lifted a cross into the box and there was no-one to pick up the pieces from the attempted clearance except Gordon who thumped a first time shot low into the net.

Still Workington kept at it. Jason Walker hammered a strong shot just over the bar and Brad Carroll had Stewart at full stretch again to palm away and then gather his effort from the edge of the area.

Reds were still in the contest, seeing enough of the ball to cause problems, but two goals on 68 and 73 minutes wrapped up the points for Trinity.

Again, it was Reds' inability to win important second balls in their own area which cost them as first Simon Russell drilled one home from eight yards and then Worsfold netted from close in.

Reds did get a consolation eight minutes from the end when Walker finished well from eight yards after beating his man and firing into the bottom corner.

Match facts

Gainsborough: Stewart, Austin, Gordon, Clarke Evans, Stainfield, Byrne, Russell, Worsfold (King 78), Reeves, Simmons (Wilson 56). Subs (not used) Ture, Maguire, Margetts.

Goals: Worsfold (19, 73), Gordon (52), Russell (68).

Workington: Taylor, Douglas, Smith, Calvert, May, Carroll, Holt (Paterson 72), Cowperthwaite, Walker, Joel (Paterson 72), Tinnion. Subs (not used) Hubbold, Pearson, Casson.

Goal: Walker (82).

Referee: Anthony Tankard.

Crowd: 572.