Swindon Town 0 Carlisle United 4: Carlisle United scored four goals inside 24 minutes to claim their biggest away win for over a year.

Regan Slater scored twice - his first Football League goals - with Ashley Nadesan and Jamie Devitt also on target.

It completed a convincing win on the road for John Sheridan's side - and ruined Richie Wellens' first game as Swindon boss.

Nadesan shot United ahead in the 41st minute, before Slater smashed home a minute into the second half.

Devitt's free-kick made it three before Slater drilled home another fine goal on 65 minutes for the 11th-placed Cumbrians.

Nadesan landed the first blow towards the end of a first-half of few clear-cut chances.

Keshi Anderson headed wide in the fifth minute as the hosts got in behind United's left side - a feature of the opening stages.

Ellis Iandolo bobbled an attempt wide after a weak Slater clearance, and James Dunne volleyed over for Swindon.

Dunne then went off midway through the first half because of what Wellens described as a family emergency, as the hosts brought on former United loan midfielder Martin Smith.

Carlisle then applied some pressure and Jack Sowerby was played in by Jerry Yates on the break, but the Fleetwood loanee failed to beat keeper Lawrence Vigouroux from the edge of the box.

Shortly after, though, Sowerby overlapped down the right to meet Devitt's probing pass and Nadesan then converted his cross, his shot going in off the post.

Matty Taylor tested Adam Collin from long-range before the break, with Iandolo failing to connect properly with a free-kick delivery that could easily have seen the Robins level.

Things then got even better for United immediately after the restart, with Gary Liddle's high ball nodded down by Nadesan for Slater, who sent a superb strike past Vigouroux.

Eight minutes later it was three, McGlashan penalised for handball and Devitt curling the free-kick into the top left corner.

That saw some home fans leave with some 35 minutes still to go.

They missed Slater adding another, the 19-year-old loanee cutting in from a Hallam Hope pass before driving low past the home keeper.

That superb effort capped what had turned into a dominant display from Sheridan's side.

Some of Swindon's fans chanted against chairman Lee Power while United's travelling support were jubilant.

Sub Liam McCarron saw a pacy run intercepted as the visitors looked for a fifth.

As Sheridan made more changes, Swindon then failed to grab a late consolation, sub Scott Twine shooting just over and Collin denying Steven Alzate.

The rampant United victory came despite a fresh injury blow ahead of the game with the loss of Danny Grainger.

The skipper picked up a new calf injury in training on Friday which ruled him out.

Grainger recently returned from a similar injury but this is understood to be a problem with his other calf.

Coming back into Sheridan's side, meanwhile, were Mike Jones, Devitt and Anthony Gerrard.

Grainger's injury saw United name only six subs.

United: Collin, Liddle, Gerrard (Miller 81), Gillesphey, Sowerby, Slater, Jones, Devitt (Campbell 76), Yates, Hope, Nadesan (McCarron 72). Not used: Gray, Glendon, Bennett.

Swindon: Vigouroux, Woolfenden, Taylor, Nelson, Conroy (Knoyle 69), Dunne (Smith 29), Taylor, Iandolo, Alzate, McGlashan, Anderson, Adebayo (Twine 69). Not used: McCormick, Lancashire, McCourt, Richards.