Carlisle United 3 Newport County 2: Carlisle United ended their long Brunton Park goal drought before captain Danny Grainger hit a dramatic late winner.

The skipper, back in the side after injury, blasted into the top corner in the 93rd minute to earn the Blues their first home league win since August.

The Cumbrian's stunning goal came at the end of an absorbing game which saw United go two ahead before Newport fought back.

Jamie Devitt scored twice in three first-half minutes before Padraig Amond pulled one back before the break.

Dan Butler then looked to have earned the Exiles a point in the 87th minute before Grainger's late stunner.

The much-needed return to scoring and winning ways against their high-flying visitors saw John Sheridan's team move up to 11th in League Two.

The eventful game took little time in unfolding with Jerry Yates denied by Joe Day when clean through in the opening stages.

Devitt then ended United's seven hour, 59 minute wait for a league goal at their home ground.

Midfielder Devitt slid in to turn George Glendon's cross into the bottom corner after eight minutes at the Waterworks End.

Devitt then made it 2-0 just three minutes later when a short corner was returned to him and he whipped the ball from the left inside Day's near post.

After the Dubliner's first Blues double, Amond then shot over for the Exiles and Dan Butler had an attempt blocked, while Macaulay Gillesphey tested Day from distance.

Yates then had a great chance to make it three when Butler misread Devitt's curling ball, but again Newport's keeper denied him.

Grainger's dangerous corner was almost met by Ashley Nadesan, and Gillesphey headed a Devitt corner over, before Amond brought the Welsh side back into the game on 38 minutes, when Robbie Willmott's cross from the left was met by the striker in space, Gary Liddle on the line unable to prevent his header going in.

Antoine Semenyo then blasted over from 20 yards as Newport looked for a leveller before the break.

The visitors then applied more pressure in the second half, with Micky Demetriou having an overhead kick saved.

Glendon and Yates were denied for Carlisle with Amond and Josh Sheehan close for Newport.

After a series of subs, Regan Slater was denied by Day with a strong attempt from 20 yards.

Another of United's replacements, Richie Bennett, then crossed for Nadesan to head against the post.

Handball appeals were turned down when Yates' shot was blocked, then, at the other end, Adam Collin made two crucial saves from Jamille Matt.

Butler then levelled for the Exiles, pouncing from close range after Collin had made a point-blank save after a corner.

Mike Flynn's side then tried to complete their comeback with a winner, Matt having penalty appeals waved away.

But after Devitt had a shot saved by Day, Carlisle won it at the very end, Bennett challenging for a cross and the ball then breaking for Grainger outside the box.

His fierce shot flicked off a defender on its way into the top corner.

Grainger, who had not featured since August 25 after a calf injury, was at left wing-back in a 3-5-2 system which initially saw Jack Sowerby as right wing-back and Yates up front with Nadesan.

United: Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Gillesphey, Grainger, Sowerby, Jones (Slater 66), Glendon (Bennett 66), Devitt, Yates, Nadesan. Not used: Gray, Miller, Campbell, Egan, McCarron.

Newport: Day, Pipe, Butler, Forbes (Matt 66), Demetriou, Willmott, Bakinson, Dolan, Sheehan (Marsh-Brown 85), Amond, Semenyo (Harris 81). Not used: Townsend, Foulston, Cooper, Collins.