Carlisle United 0 Grimsby Town 1: Carlisle United fell to a second home defeat in three days as they were beaten 1-0 by Grimsby.

The Mariners had lost six straight League Two fixtures before tonight's game but the Blues were dealt a blow in the first half as midfielder Jamie Devitt was substituted after picking up an injury following a feisty challenge by away defender Alex Whitmore.

Grimsby then broke the deadlock on the 37th minute when left-back Luke Hendrie crossed for Charles Vernam who was denied by United keeper Adam Collin but Hendrie was on hand to slot the loose ball into the net.

After the restart, United initially made an encouraging start and also put the Grimsby defence under some late pressure. But they struggled to create clear-cut openings with Hallam Hope firing over with two minutes to play in the best of the late opportunities.

Grimsby had the first clear-cut chance on eight minutes when home keeper Collin had to come out to meet JJ Hooper and Vernam's follow-up attempt was charged down.

Cumbrian Collin was again called into action two minutes later. A weak back pass by Macauley Gillesphey put Vernam through but the Blues' keeper made a good save.

On 14 minutes, United had their first clear-cut opportunity as Devitt found Ashley Nadesan who forced a low save from visiting keeper James McKeown.

But Grimsby were certainly having the better of the early openings with Wes Thomas flashing wide after a quick corner routine with 16 minutes played.

Carlisle's next chance came on the 27th minute when, after Devitt had been fouled, McKeown adjusted well to tip Macaulay Gillesphey's free-kick away from goal.

Grimsby had a big chance on the half-hour mark as an Elliot Embleton cross found an unmarked Thomas. But he headed wide.

Despite playing on, Devitt was unable to shake off his injury and came off for Adam Campbell on the 33rd minute.

The away side then took the lead. Hendrie crossed for Vernam who was denied by Collin but Hendrie was on hand to slot the loose ball into the net.

Nadesan then chased down what appeared to be a lost cause and won possession. That allowed Campbell to cross but Jack Sowerby headed over on the stroke of half-time.

After a bright start to the second period for United, Kelvin Etuhu tested McKeown with a 20-yard strike on the 52nd minute.

Just after the hour, a gap opened up for Sowerby but his shot was weak and easily gathered by McKeown.

With the Cumbrians knocking at the door, a substitute Campbell shot was blocked by an away defender before Anthony Gerrard won the header from the resulting corner on the 75th minute, only for the visitors to once again clear their lines.

There was also a late effort for Hope but the Mariners survived to claim the points.

Regan Slater came in for Richie Bennett in Carlisle United's only change from Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to Stevenage.

It was Sheffield United loanee Slater's second league start of the season and his first start since the opening-day.

Sowerby, who picked up a knee injury at the weekend, was also fit enough to start.

There was also no substitute goalkeeper on the Blues bench with Luke O'Reilly not in the squad.

Meanwhile, Grimsby made five changes with ex-United loanee Jordan Cook missing through injury.

Carlisle United: Collin, Liddle (c), Gerrard, Parkes, Hope, Devitt (Campbell 33), Gillesphey, Slater (Jones 79), Sowerby (McCarron 79), Etuhu, Nadesan.

Carlisle unused subs: Miller, Glendon, Adewusi, Egan.

Grimsby: McKeown, Hall-Johnson, Collins (c), Rose, Hooper, Clifton, Vernam (Cardwell 93), Embleton (Woolford 81), Whitmore, Hendrie, Thomas.

Grimsby unused subs: Dixon, Hessenthaler, Robles, Russell, Pringle.

Ref: Martin Coy

Crowd: 3,316 (143 away).