Workington Town 54 Gloucestershire All Golds 22

It took a late flurry of tries for Workington Town to finally close out the visiting Gloucestershire All Golds and claim their second League One victory yesterday.

The scoreline slightly flattered the home side as for the majority of the game it was nip and tuck.

Both sides traded blows for 60 minutes of the game before Town finally put their foot on the gas and pulled away to record the 54-22 win.

Carl Forber was instrumental in their second half revival, the half-back injecting some pace into the Town attack and he was kicking goals from all around the park, with nine conversions to his name.

Scott Rooke, Macauley Davies and Perry Singleton looked lively, as did packmen Stevie Scholey and Tom Curwen, who both finished with tries.

But it was a lacklustre start from the home side and a flurry of handling errors did not help their cause.

The second half showed some improvement but it was not until the latter stages that they finally shone through.

The game began badly for the visitors with play held up for several minutes after a nasty leg injury to All Golds full-back Alex Gaskell who was stretchered from the field.

But it was to their credit that they quickly bounced back and put the first points on the board.

Phil Cowburn powered over, taking a couple of Town players with him and Kieran Hyde added the extras.

Workington pushed to get back on top and pulled level when Stuart Howarth popped a nice ball up for Tom Curwen to crash over.

Forber slotted over the extras and Town were quickly back on the attack but, when they tried to push the passes, All Golds' Brad Kislingbury jumped in for an interception.

Town did well to scramble back and halt the attack and they were called on to defend again as Jordan Andrade went close but then knocked on with the line at his mercy.

Curwen then took Town into the lead midway through the half when he burst through for his second try of the game, Forber again on target with the conversion.

It turned scrappy with both sides coming up with handling errors and neither really troubled the other near the line.

But, with six minutes to go to half time, Gloucestershire levelled matters once more as Joe McClean burrowed under the defence to score and Hyde converted for 12-12.

Town got the second half under way with a bang as Macauley Davies touched down with just three minutes on the clock. Forber added the goal from wide out and the home side were back in the lead.

But then back came the All Golds to trade blows as Chris Barlow got on the end of a nice kick from Hyde to touch down by the corner flag.

This time, Hyde missed with the kick and Workington remained narrowly in front.

They extended that lead with a nice piece of rugby as they flung the ball out wide through several sets of hands.

Macauley Davies flipped the final ball to Joe Hambley and he continued his try scoring run by touching down in the corner and Forber added a great touchline conversion.

But again Town let Gloucestershire back into the game as Mo Agoro got on the end of a Hyde kick to score and Hyde stepped up for a successful kick.

It was to be their last score though as Town finally came to life, coming onto the ball stronger and creating opportunities.

Brett Phillips went on a good charge to the line but he was halted just short. Then, brother Callum came from acting half-back to burrow his way under the All Golds defence.

Forber was left with an easy kick near the posts which sailed between the uprights.

A missed attempt at a 40/20 from Hyde gave Town back possession on their opponents' 40-metre line.

They then won a penalty in front of the posts and chose to run in. But that proved to be a mistake as the ball came out to Rooke who was bundled into touch.

Workington upped their game and got on top of their opponents. They extended their lead as Jason Mossop finished off a fine handling move to dive over the whitewash.

Forber added a great touchline conversion and Town were on a roll.

Scott Rooke provided a little piece of individual brilliance to dance over the line with eight minutes remaining and Forber's goal looked to seal the deal for Town.

Forber's captain's innings was capped with a try of his own just moments later as he got on the end of a looping pass from Hambley and then added the extras for 48-22.

But it wasn't over as Town kept the points coming. Macauley Davies made a break but as he was wrapped up, he popped the pass out to the supporting Stevie Scholey.

The forward made a great 30-metre run down the centre of the field to touch down under the posts, leaving Forber a final easy conversion for a full time score of 54-22.

Workington: Chamberlain, Rooke, Hambley, Mossop, Mewse, Forber, Howarth, Scholey, C Phillips, Curwen, B Phillips, Fitzsimmons, Singleton. Subs (all used): Dowsett, Szostak, Coward, Davies.

Tries: Curwen (2), Davies, Hambley, C Phillips, Mossop, Rooke, Forber, Scholey.

Goals: Forber 9/9

All Golds: Gaskell, Agoro, Cowburn, Kislingbury, Barlow, Mitchell, Hyde, Purslow, Parry, elliott, Worrall, McClean, Brickhill. Subs (all used): Lloyd-Jones, Walter, Andrade, Kidd.

Tries: Cowburn, McClean, Agoro, Barlow

Goals: Hyde 3/4

Referee: Liam Moore.

Half time: 12-12.

Crowd: 509.

Penalties: 6-3

Star Man: Carl Forber.