Workington Town 22 Gloucestershire All Golds 30

A lacklustre display saw Workington Town crash out of the League One Cup at the hands of Gloucestershire All Golds.

Town could not replicate their performance of a week ago when they struck the All Golds with a late blitz to win in the league.

This time, Gloucestershire hung on, they looked sharp in attack and took advantage of any errors Town threw up.

Town were lacking in direction and, despite coming back from 18-6 down to take the lead, they could not build on their efforts and they slipped out with a whimper.

Stevie Scholey was the highlight of a timid Town performance as he stood up to be counted in the pack.

The home side welcomed back John Patrick and Phil Lister, the duo playing their first match since returning from injuries.

But in the end, the better side won on the day, the All Golds deserving their place in the semi-final draw after a good performance built around the effective kicking game of Kieran Hyde.

In almost their first attack of the match, Gloucestershire took advantage of an offside call against the home team.

With a fresh set of six at their disposal, they whipped the ball across the line and Phillip Cowburn stepped inside the defence to cross the line, with Hyde converting.

Gloucestershire went close again but, this time, the ball came loose near the line and Stuart Howarth scooped it up.

He released the returning John Patrick who was caught on his 40-metre line. The ball went through several pairs of hands before Phil Lister tried to show a clean pair of heels down the line but just put his foot into touch.

The All Golds upped a gear and looked dangerous on the attack. Joe McClean was held up over the line but, seconds later, Harry Kidd went over from close range.

Hyde again slotted over the extras to give the visitors a 12-0 lead.

Town came close in the left-hand corner through John Patrick but the ball came loose and the All Golds came away with it.

But the visitors were made to pay for giving away a penalty on their own 20-metre line. Howarth popped up a nice ball for Brett Phillips and he charged over the line.

Forber tagged on the extras but, instead of capitalising on the score, Town then slipped up again near their own line.

All credit to Gloucestershire, they were looking sharp and Steve Parry darted and burrowed his way over the line to strengthen the All Golds cause, with Hyde's kick taking it out to 18-6, which was how it stayed until half time.

Into the second half and Town got back into the game after putting their opponents under pressure.

Joe Hambley was held just short of the line and then the ball came quickly out to the left, where Patrick capped his first game back with a try by the corner flag.

Forber was again wearing his kicking boots as he landed a fine touchline conversion to bring Town to within six points.

And Hambley got his just reward just four minutes later. Ed Chamberlain made a nice dart through the line and popped up the ball to Hambley, who touched down for his sixth try in six games.

Forber had another tough conversion out wide but it sailed between the uprights and the scores were level at 18-18.

Lister then got on the scoresheet as Town ramped up their scoring. He leaped up and plucked the ball from his opponent's grasp, twisted round and placed the ball over the line but this time the conversion was missed.

The All Golds spent a long spell encamped on the Town line and Jack Mitchell was close but his final pass went out into touch, but caught a Town hand on the way out and the visitors earned a scrum.

They crunched into the Town defence before Hyde put in a neat kick to the left and Chris Barlow collected it and ran in unopposed. Hyde converted to give Gloucestershire back a slender two point lead.

Workington knew time was running out and they sent up a late barrage at the All Golds try line.

Callum Phillips gave a short ball to the charging Perry Singleton but he was caught. Then, Forber released Lister but he was halted just short of the try line and the final kick was easily dealt with by the visitors.

Town got a scrum 30-metres out but they couldn't capitalise on their field position as the clock continued to tick down.

Lister was released up the wing and made a great break before chipping the ball forward but Gloucestershire got back to cover.

Then came the killer blow for the home side. Town were attacking again when a loose pass from Howarth was picked up by the All Golds and Cowburn raced 60-metres to touch down and score his second of the afternoon.

Hyde capped off a fine kicking display by adding the extras and the hooter sounded seconds later with the All Golds taking the win and progressing to the semi-finals.

Town: Chamberlain, Lister, Hambley, Mossop, Patrick, Forber, Howarth, Scholey, C Phillips, Curwen, B Phillips, Davies, Singleton. Subs (all used): Coward, Szostak, Fitzsimmons, Doran.

Tries: B Phillips 26, Patrick 45, Hambley 49, Lister 55.

Goals: Forber 3/4.

All Golds: Mitchell, Mobolaji, Williams, Cowburn, Barlow, Fallon, Hyde, Kidd, Parry, Walter, Elliott, McClean, Worrall. Subs (all used): Stephens, O'Keefe, Purslow, Lloyd-Jones.

Tries: Cowburn 7, 78, Kidd 20, Parry 30, Barlow 67.

Goals: Hyde 5/5.

Half time: 6-18.

Referee: Matt Rosleigh.

Penalties: 5-3.

Crowd: 378.

Star Man: Stevie Scholey.