Workington Town 56 South Wales Ironmen 0

Jamie Doran whipped up a storm as Workington Town out-muscled the visiting South Wales Ironmen.

Doran marshalled the troops and caused havoc in the South Wales defence as he took on the line and created opportunities across the park.

There were several players in supporting roles including Jason Mossop, Tom Curwen, Stuart Howarth and Joe Hambley as Town racked up the points in a complete second-half performance.

South Wales were restricted to just the odd opportunity on the break and rarely really troubled the Town defence, who held firm, making sure their visitors left pointless.

Town could – and probably should – have had more tries in a first half where they dominated for the majority of the time.

Gordon Maudling looked good, running hard on his home debut. With his first touch, he broke through the Ironmen line and dodged and weaved before he was finally halted.

The ball was ripped out in the tackle, handing the home side an early penalty. Town then got a second penalty just moments later and they were encamped on the Ironmen’s line.

The ball was whipped out to the left where Jason Mossop handed off his final defender and touched down. Forber lined up the conversion and struck it low into the wind but it hit the post and bounced away.

After 14 minutes, Town were awarded a scrum around 15 metres out. The ball came out quickly and Forber ran at the defence before popping the ball out to the supporting Joe Hambley and he dived over the line, stretching out his arm to secure the try and Forber added the touchline conversion.

Hambley got his second just four minutes later. A loose ball was captured by Ed Chamberlain just 10 metres off his own line.

He raced downfield with South Wales giving chase but he was well supported by Hambley and, as the defender stretched to take hold, Chamblerlain used his winger and Hambley went round behind the posts to touch down.

Doran put a looping pass out to Scott Rooke on the left wing as they looked to rack up the points but he bounced the ball over the line and South Wales, with the help of a penalty, broke away.

Town had another chance as a neat little kick on the last from Doran saw South Wales push over the dead ball line with the defence under pressure from the onrushing John Patrick.

Some clever passing released Gabriel Fell up the centre of the field with Forber in support but the final pass was forward and Town were denied yet again.

But into the second half and Town were right on the attack scoring within the first minute. Jason Mossop had a great run down the left flank before passing inside to Fell and he dived over the line. Forber missed with the conversion and Town led 20-0.

It was almost a fantastic try as Doran put in a high kick to the corner on the last and Hambley out jumped the defence to scoop it out of the air but he just couldn’t stretch far enough to get the ball down.

But moments later John Patrick did just that. Some great work from Doran twisting in and out of the defence before he popped the ball up to Patrick and he charged over, Forber adding the extras.

Scott Rooke was the next to benefit as he stayed alert to a neat crossfield kick from Forber on the last. It was straight into his arms out on the wing and Rooke just had to walk over the line, with Forber converting.

And moments later Town were in again as Howarth fed Tom Curwen who powered through to touch down, with Forber again on target to make it 38-0.

More good passing through the Town line saw Fell get his second near the posts, leaving Forber an easy kick. Hambley then dived over for his hat-trick with Forber on target from the touchline.

Then came a superb break from Tom Curwen as he shrugged off the would-be tacklers and burst upfield.

As the defence closed in, he popped the ball up to Mossop who quickly released Callum Phillips and the hooker raced to the try line, with Forber again adding the goal for a final score of 56-0.

Town: Fell, Hambley, Chamberlain, Mossop, Rooke, Forber, Doran, Scholey, Howarth, Curwen, B Phillips, Maudling, Singleton. Subs (all used): C Phillips, Szostak, Patrick, Shelford.

Tries: Mossop 2, Hambley 14, 18, 69, Fell 41, 68, Patrick 50, Rooke 59, Curwen 63, C Phillips 72.

Goals: Forber 8/10.

Ironmen: Gay, Hughes, Jefferies, Bateman, Jones, Emanuell, Davies, Nelmes, Farrer, Evans, Williams, Parker, Calcott. Subs (all used): Owens, Price, Breen, I’Anson.

Half time: 16-0.

Referee: John McMullen (Wigan).

Penalties: 8-10.

Crowd: 546.

Star Man: Jamie Doran.