Workington Town 12 Toronto Wolfpack 58

Toronto Wolfpack may have won the match but they certainly knew they had been in a battle against Workington Town.

The experience and size of the Wolfpack told in the end but the home players gave 100 per cent effort and commitment on a hot afternoon at Derwent Park.

The match did not get off to the best start as an accident on the motorway delayed match officials and some of the Workington team.

The game was delayed until 4.30pm but the Toronto team were delayed getting back to Derwent Park and the kick-off was put back further.

Play finally got under way around 5.20pm and Toronto were over the line in the opening minutes as Ryan Burroughs popped up a final ball to Greg Worthington but they were pulled back for a forward pass.

But Town hit back aided by two penalties and they put the pressure on the Toronto line with Gabriel Fell going close, stopped inches off the whitewash.

It was the Wolfpack who put the first points on the board though after quick hands shipped the ball out to the right-hand side where Jonathan Pownall dived over but Craig Hall missed the touchline conversion.

Burroughs and Worthington combined again on the left flank and this time they got over the line with Worthington claiming the try and Hall adding the extras for 10-0.

A bomb on the last was taken well in the air by Town youngster Kieran Mewse but, as he was pushed backwards, the ball came loose.

Hall was quick to react and simply had to touch the ball down over the line and then added his own conversion.

Quick thinking centre Hall collected another try just minutes later and again his kick was on target.

Carl Forber looked to get Town back into the game as he attempted a chip over the top and collected himself but a Toronto hand gave the home side another set of six.

And they made their visitors pay as they repeatedly struck the blind side and eventually the Toronto defence fell away to allow Gordon Maudling over the line.

Forber added the extras from wide out and Town were finally on the scoreboard.

Toronto struck a killer blow just before half-time as Town gave away a penalty in front of their own sticks.

It didn't take long before Ryan Brierley went over from close range with Hall adding the extras and Toronto went in at half time 28-6 ahead.

The second half opened with Toronto on the attack once again and Bob Beswick broke through the home defence before popping the pass up to Jack Bussey who crossed the line. Hall converted.

And another try soon followed as Worthington strolled through wide out to score, with Hall converting from just inside the touchline.

But then Town produced a nice move on the short side as Forber released Singleton and he strode through the Toronto defence to score in the corner.

Forber added a lovely kick from the touchline as they looked to up the ante against their transatlantic opponents.

Gabriel Fell put in a nice little grubber that took the Toronto defence by surprise but the onrushing Scott Roooke just couldn't grasp the ball over the line and it bounced away.

Town were struck by another blow as Joe Ryan had to be helped, limping from the field.

The Wolfpack forwards were looking to tire and Conor Fitzsimmons nipped in with a ball steal to keep the pressure on. But Town could not find their way over the line.

Jason Mossop put in a superb tackle to get Johnny Pownall into touch and then Maudling came close to getting his second when he made a lovely little break but was stopped on the line.

It was against the run of play in the latter stages when Sean Penkywicz went over from close range, leaving Hall an easy kick.

Town didn't deserve the scoreline as Brierley scored wide out in the last couple of minutes, and Pownall followed him over the whitewash just before the hooter with Hall tagging on the two kicks for a 58-12 victory to the visitors.

Town: Fell, Mewse, Hambley, Mossop, Rooke, Forber, Doran, Szostak, Howarth, Curwen, B Phillips, Joseph, Singleton. Subs (all used): Ryan, Fitzsimmons, Maudling, Lister.

Tries: Maudling 32, Singleton 50,

Goals: Forber 2/2

Wolfpack: Burroughs, Pownall, Laulu Togagae, Hall, Worthington, Jacks, Brierley, Bailey, Beswick, Bussey, Emmitt, Whiting, Fleming. Subs (all used): Crossley, Penkywicz, Pick, Moimoi.

Tries: Pownall 7, 79, Worthington 14, 46, Hall 19, 22, Brierley 38, 77, Bussey 43, Penkywicz 75.

Goals: Hall 9/10.

Referee: Greg Dolan.

Half time: 6-28

Penalties: 12-12

Crowd: 835.

Star Man: Perry Singleton.