Workington Town 46 London Skolars 16: Tee Ritson capped a memorable comeback from injury with four tries as Workington Town taught London Skolars a lesson.

In his first game back after an horrendous knee injury, the full-back had notched a hat-trick by half time.

He added his fourth and probably the best in the second half when he raced 70-metres to touch down.

But it was a good all-round team performance in the 46-16 victory, with Stuart Howarth and Jamie Doran pivotal to the success.

Macauley Davies also made his first steps on the comeback trail and again he also marked it with a try.

But the most crucial thing for Workington was the two points which boosts their top eight hopes.

And with both Doncaster and Keighley losing, Workington move up to sixth in the table as the mid-season split looms on the horizon.

The Derwent Park clock only had four minutes showing when Tee Ritson marked his comeback with a lovely opening try.

Quick hands and Ritson came onto a nice ball to stretch his arm over the line to the delight of the home crowd, with Carl Forber adding the conversion.

Play went to and fro, with London denied a try for obstruction before Town got back on top.

This time it was Gabriel Fell who crossed wide out and Forber again tagged on a conversion from the touchline.

London did come back with a try on 22 minutes as Louis Robinson scythed his way through the defence to touch down but the conversion was missed.

Town looked to hit back as Jamie Doran cut through the London defence and passed to Alez Szostak who fumbled with the try line in front of him but the referee pulled play back.

And Doran created the perfect opportunity for Ritson to race through once again, running a great angle to cut open a path to the try line.

Forber's conversion just edged the wrong side of the uprights but Town were ahead 16-4.

And they extended that advantage just moments later as Brett Phillips got on the end of a lovely ball to stride through and touch down, with Forber tagging on the extras.

But just before half time came the biggest cheer of the day as Ritson went over for his hat-trick, getting his arm over the line despite a slight stumble.

Forber stepped up to coolly slot over the conversion and Town went in at half time 28-4 ahead.

The second half opened with a bang for Workington as Jamie Doran raced over 60-metres, evading the last two defenders to touch down, with Forber converting.

But then Town were made to pay for an error in front of their own posts as Jy-Mel Coleman went over from close range and added his own goal.

Another comeback kid, Macauley Davies brought Town back in the ascendancy as he cut a swathe through the London defence to go in under the posts and leave Forber an easy goal.

Forber switched from attack to defence as he had to run the ball out of play under pressure from the London attack, resulting in a home drop-out.

But Doran's deep kick was allowed to bounce and it went all the way to the opposite end of the field for another kick from behind the sticks.

Then Ritson capped off a great day as he raced 70-metres down the line before cutting across to touch down, with Forber on target with the resulting kick.

London thought they had got over the line through Lameck Juma but the referee judged him to be held up.

But with seven minutes remaining, Town seemed to go to sleep a little and Andy Winfield got over the line, with Coleman converting to narrow the gap a little.

But the afternoon belonged to Workington as they picked up another two crucial points in their bid to stay in League 1's top eight.

Workington Town: Ritson, Hambley, Rasool, Mossop, Fell, Forber, Doran, Ryan, Howarth, Curwen, B Phillips, Maudling, Singleton. Subs (all used): Davies, Moore, Byrne, Szostak

Tries: Ritson 4, 29, 37, 59, Fell 16, B Phillips 32, Doran 44, Davies 52. Goals: Forber 7/8

London Skolars: Jermaine Coleman, Nash, Brown, Juma, Hill, Jy-Mel Coleman, Lawrence, Greenhalgh, Driver, Bryan, Williams, Allison, Chester. Subs (all used): Winfield, Dollapi, Williams, Robinson

Tries: Robinson 22, Jy-Mel Coleman 48, Winfield 73. Goals: Jy-Mel Coleman 2/3

Referee: Tom Crashley

Crowd: 479