Workington Town 0, Toronto Wolfpack 68

A lacklustre Workington Town quickly ran out of steam as the Toronto Wolfpack train continued to gather pace at Derwent Park.

The second match of the League 1 Super 8s went the way of the promotion favourites but it was disappointing not to see more fight from the home side.

The Wolfpack, despite their big name stars, did not have the best of starts and were cracking a little under early pressure.

They lost Fuifui Moimoi to the sin-bin early in the game for a bad tackle on Callum Phillips.

But, despite being a player down, they still held their own and warded off any attempt from the home side to break through.

Workington were holding their own for the opening 20 minutes despite rain and wind adding to their troubles.

Jamie Doran showed sparks of imagination for Town and the pack were going head-to-head with their rivals.

But sadly it did not last as a couple of errors allowed Toronto to get on top with three late tries in the first half.

Town heads dropped and they failed to come back up as the Wolfpack rattled up the points in the second half.

Workington did not really trouble their opponents as the game wore on looking devoid of any ideas of how to break them down.

This is a problem they will have to address quickly before they head to York next Sunday if they want to keep within reach of the play-off places.

Town were on the attack early in the game when Phillips was taken out of play by Moimoi who was subsequently shown a yellow card for his troubles.

But the home side couldn't make it pay and as they got near to the line Tom Curwen saw the ball slip out of his grasp.

Toronto then went up to the other end of the field and got a penalty in front of the posts which Craig Hall slotted over for the Wolfpack to take the lead.

Town were holding their own and attacked again, putting the Wolfpack under pressure near their own line but just couldn't break through.

But Toronto could as Blake Wallace crashed over from close range, with Hall converting.

It looked as though Toronto would stroll in when they spread the ball wide but the final pass to Liam Kay was forward and Workington could heave a sigh of relief.

And moments later Tee Ritson saved his side's blushes as he tracked back to stop Kay who had raced half the length of the field looking to score.

Ritson nearly had a chance at the other end when he chased down a neat kick from Doran but Toronto just got to the ball first.

Then there was some controversy as the referee and linesman awarded a try in the bottom corner for the visitors.

Jonathan Pownall claimed to have got a hand to touch the ball down millimetres from the dead ball line as Tee Ritson looked to clear but the try was given. The conversion was missed but the visitors led 12-0.

Toronto upped a gear as Greg Worthington made a great break down the left flank and slipped the pass to the supporting Quentin Laulu Togagae who crossed the line, leaving Hall an easy conversion.

Then in the final minute of the half Ritson collected a long ball and raced back up the field but pushed an unnecessary pass out which came loose.

Toronto were quickest to react and Pownall was the player to benefit to get his second try of the afternoon, with Hall converting for a half time lead of 24-0.

The second half was only four minutes old when Town gave away two successive penalties and Toronto's Wallace bagged his second, running over from short range. Hall converted.

Then as the ball was whipped out to the far side, Liam Kay used his pace to dive over the line but the touchline conversion did not reach its target.

It was all Toronto as James Laithwaite and Craig Hall ran in quick tries, with the latter converting to up their advantage to 46-0.

Laulu Togagae put on a show and go to break up the right hand side with both Hall and Pownall in support but a stumble by the latter allowed Town to catch up and halt their progress.

Craig Hall danced in and out of a diving, desperate defence to add to the Toronto score, adding the conversion himself, despite sliding in the wet.

Jake Emmitt then burst over to touch down with nine minutes left on the clock and Hall added the extras from in front of the posts.

Jamie Doran tried to bring his side back into the game with a chip over the top but he was unlucky not to regather and Toronto went right back on the attack.

The final word went to the visitors with Wallace and Pownall both recording their hat-tricks and Hall adding one more goal.

It was an afternoon to forget for Workington with the rain reflecting the supporters moods as they left the ground.

Town: Ritson, Hambley, Rasool, Moore, Lister, Howarth, Doran, Curwen, C Phillips, Scholey, B Phillips, Davies, Maudling. Subs (all used): Fitzsimmons, Szostak, Shelford, Prior.

Toronto: Laulu-Togagae, Pownall, Worthington, Hall, Kay, Wallace, Brierley, Moimoi, Beswick, Emmitt, Laithwaite, Whiting, Bussey. Subs (all used): Jacks, Fleming, Sidlow, Crossley.

Tries: Wallace 18, 44, 74, Pownall 33, 40, 79, Laulu Togagae 36, Kay 51, Laithwaite 57, Hall 59, 66, Emmitt 71.

Goals: Hall 10/13.

Yellow card: Moimoi 9.

Half time: 0-24

Referee: J Roberts.

Penalties: 5-8.

Crowd: 572.

Star Man: Jamie Doran.