Hunslet Hawks 27 Workington Town 20

Workington Town, who were in control at 20-8 ahead as the game entered the final quarter, somehow allowed their comfortable lead to slip.

Full-back Jordan Tansey was wide with two long-range field goal attempts and Hunslet astonishingly snatched the spoils with three late tries – all converted – and a field goal.

Town started in confident style, a telling kick by stand-off Jamie Doran forcing home centre Mufaro Mvududu into conceding a goal-line drop-out.

Workington went in front in the subsequent raid, prop Ryan Bailey driving to the line and scrum-half Carl Forber sending Doran through a gap, Tansey converting from in front of the posts.

Prop Oliver Wilkes, who was having a big impact, forced Hunslet full-back Jimmy Watson to spill the ball deep in Town territory with a huge hit, and Workington then looked to have sent winger Joseph Hambley away in his own half, only for the pass by Doran to be ruled forward.

Hunslet made the most of the escape. A rare attack culminating in prop Michael Haley crashing over on 23 minutes, Sanderson adding the first of five goals from as many attempts from wide out.

The south Leeds side, moving downfield, went in front when, after Town were sanctioned for a high shot, Sanderson landed the penalty from 40 metres in front of the posts.

Workington, though, applied pressure in response. Doran forcing a second goal-line drop-out, but the concession of another penalty wasted the position, although Town had a let-off when Hunslet’s attack ended with a disallowed try for substitute Jack Coventry, the pass from dummy-half by fellow benchman Daniel Halmshaw being ruled forward.

Workington second-row Karl Olstrum looked a possible scorer with a fine break from midfield, only to be hauled down by Hunslet full-back Jimmy Watson, who secured the ball in a one-on-one tackle.

It didn’t matter, though, as a break down the left on the stroke of half-time was supported by Forber, who romped over for Tansey to improve.

Workington not only survived a goal-line drop-out on the resumption; Town increased their lead to 10 points within the first five minutes, a grubber kick rebounding off a defender for substitute Andrew Dawson to pounce under the posts. Tansey again adding the extras.

Hunslet winger Niall Walker then made a telling midfield run, rounding Tansey before being hauled down by Forber, but scrum-half Cain Southernwood was unable to catch what could have been a try-scoring pass by Mvududu.

And, when Workington worked their way upfield, Tansey stretched the lead to 12 points with a penalty from short range, awarded for use of the elbow.

A 40-20 kick by Doran came to nothing through a spilled ball and it subsequently all went wrong for Town, illustrated when Dawson raced through a gap on his own 20-metre line, courtesy of Doran’s delayed pass, only for the subsequent raid to the left to break down through a forward pass.

Hunslet got themselves back into the game when centre Tom Ashton charged through several defenders on 62 minutes, leaving Town just six points ahead.

A field-goal attempt by Tansey, with around 13 minutes left, was well wide of the mark, and the full-back was off-target with another one-pointer shot on 71 minutes.

Hunslet replied by forcing their third goal-line drop-out and the pressure told as prop Jack Blagbrough crashed over on 76 minutes, Sanderson levelling from 15 metres to the side of the posts.

Town then spilled the ball in their own half and, after Haley had driven to the line, scrum-half Cain Southernwood landed a field goal from 20 metres in front of the posts.

Workington retrieved possession at the restart, but Dawson was caught on the last tackle close to the home posts.

And, in the last play of the game, Hunslet winger David Foggin-Johnston broke away from his own half for the clinching score, Sanderson adding his fifth goal.

Match Facts

Hunslet: Watson, Foggin-Johnston, Mvududu, Ashton, Walker, Sanderson, Southernwood, Blagbrough, Lee, Reed, Jordan-Roberts, Straugheir, Mackay.

Subs (all used): Coventry, Halmshaw, Haley, Walton

Tries: Haley (23), Ashton (62), Blagbrough (74), Foggin-Johnson (79)

Goals: Sanderson 5/5

Drop-goal: Southernwood 1/1

Town: Tansey, Hambley, Akehurst, Miller, Patrick, Doran, Forber, Wilkes, Newton, Bailey, Olstrum, Moore, Barnes

Subs (all used): Gregson, Dawson, Ryan, Leatherbarrow

Tries: Doran (4), Forber (39), Dawson (45)

Goals: Tansey 4/4

Penalties: 8-5

Half-time: 8-12

Referee: Brandon Robinson

Attendance: 561

Star Man: Jamie Doran