Coventry Bears 4 Workington Town 52

A powerful and dominant first-half display by Workington Town, with legend Fuifui Moimoi taking to the field, completely sealed the match, leaving Coventry playing only for pride.

But, in many ways, the scoreline flattered Town’s performance.

The sun was shining on a distinctly wide and sandy pitch as the home side kicked off, but soon found themselves defending.

Sean Penkywicz, who had a great game as play-maker, passed the ball out for Elliot Miller to score Town’s first try, but Carl Forber’s conversion attempt hit the post.

In the eighth minute, Perry Singleton, again aided by Penkywicz, scored a try over on the far right of the field to make it 8-0.

Workington’s point-a-minute pace continued as Jack Blagbrough caught a tricky bounce from a long kick to add the away side’s third try, and this time Carl Forber made no mistake.

At this point, it looked like Town were heading for a cricket score as they piled on the pressure against a hapless Bears side.

A succession of rapid-fire passes put Jamie Doran over for a well-worked try as the points continued to mount.

Next over was Stevie Scholey who crashed down between the posts.

To add to Coventry’s misery, rugby league legend Moimoi took to the field for the first time in Workington colours.

The game’s most controversial moment then followed five minutes later as he was floored in the tackle by Bears’ Peter Ryan, who was promptly sin-binned. Bears captain Chris Vitallini protested and also found himself leaving the pitch.

Now trailing 26-0, and down to 11 men, Coventry had their work more than cut out, as Town found themselves with more space than they were used to.

Play-maker Penkywicz grabbed one for himself in typical hooker fashion from dummy-half and Singleton’s second try sealed the first-half lead at 38-0.

The second half was much less one-sided.

Whether this was a case of Town easing off or the Bears wanting to salvage pride is uncertain, and it was eight minutes before Sam Forrester added another for the away side.

Bears tried hard to fight back, and defended vigorously with Dante Morley Samuels having a good game at full-back and even managing to be in a few attacking moves, one culminating in Lewis Lord being held up over the line, as Town showed some frailty.

Both sides showed a tendency to fumble the ball, but Workington were able to step up a gear once more as Karl Olstrom fought his way over, followed by team-mate Fredrick Bailey with just under a quarter-of-an-hour left.

The day’s biggest cheer came in the 72nd minute as Kam Pearce-Paul grabbed a consolation try to salvage some dignity, but there were no extras added, and the vociferous band of Town supporters went away happy with another away victory.


BEARS: Morley-Samuels, Freeman, Pearce-Paul, Ogden, Rance, Rice-Wilson, Stead, Guertjens, Davies, Ryan, Bateman, Jones, Vitalini

Subs (all used): Lord, Kauffman, Lloyd-Jones, Aldred

Try: Pearce-Paul (72),

Goals: Rice-Wilson 0/1

TOWN: Forrester, Miller, Olstrom, Singleton, Bailey, Doran, Forber, Wilkes, Penkywicz, Scholey, Moore, Barnes, Blagbrough

Subs (all used): Newton, Curwen, Dawson, MoiMoi

Tries: Miller (4), Singleton (8, 28), Blagbrough (12), Doran (17), Scholey (20), Penkywicz (25), Forrester (48), Olstram (64), Bailey (67)

Goals: Forber 6/10

Penalty count: 7-11

Half-time: 0-38

Referee: B Robinson

Attendance: 264