Workington Town 40 Coventry Bears 16

It might not have been the most enthralling match ever to take place at Derwent Park but Workington Town came away with another two points with a win over Coventry Bears in their race to the League One play-offs.

Town remain in third after the 40-16 victory and, although coach Leon Pryce was perhaps not best pleased at the manner of the tries scored by the Bears, he was delighted with the two points.

And on a day where a couple of key men were rested and others brought off during the game, it was not a bad scoreline against a strong forward pack from Coventry.

Karl Olstrom put in a sterling performance to keep Town moving forward, as did Tom Curwen and Oliver Wilkes, and Carl Forber had his kicking boots on, missing just one goal in seven attempts.

Town were in control for most of the first half but Coventry showed glimpses and put the home side under pressure on occasion.

There was plenty of action in the opening minutes as Town had a great first set, reaching the Coventry line where James Newton was held up just short.

But the Bears proved they were not just here to make up the numbers as they put the pressure back on the home side, Cameron Stewart unlucky not to score as he tried to turn out of the tackle over the line but the ball just came loose.

Town looked to utilise their kicking game when Doran put boot to ball down the left flank.

The pacy Tyllar Mellor got to it and palmed it back to keep it in play but the chasing attackers could not hold on to the ball.

Then, in the 10th minute, Town finally broke the Coventry line, Karl Olstrom got the ball away in the tackle and James Newton darted over the line to touch down, leaving Forber an easy conversion in front of the posts.

And the lead was extended shortly after as Doran jinked his way through the would-be tacklers to score, Forber again adding the extras.

Doran then turned provider as a great high kick to the corner was collected by the leaping Joe Hambley and he strolled over, with Forber making it 18-0 with the kick from wide out.

But then Coventry bagged a score of their own to halt the Town train with Ben Stead crashing over between the posts to leave himself an easy two pointer.

Town got themselves back on track when a Forber kick to the corner was fumbled by the Coventry defence but Hambley was on hand to scoop it up and cross the line, Forber tagging on the extras from wide out again.

And they could have extended their lead when great hands kept the ball alive for Town but sub Scott Rooke just lost the ball as he went over the line.

And so it stayed 24-6 to the home side at the break.

Coventry came out in the second half meaning business and a great break from Liam Rice-Wilson had to halted by a good tckle from Town full-back Sam Forrester.

Then, the home side found themselves down to 12 men when Gordon Maudling was sent to cool his heels in the sin-bin for 10 minutes for a shoulder charge.

And it got worse two minutes later when Doran was also sent from the field for 10 minutes for a high tackle.

But the home side knuckled down and, despite just having 11-men on the field, were encamped on the Bears' line when Curwen burst over on the last tackle, leaving Forber an easy kick to hit the 30-point mark.

It looked as though Cameron Stewart had turned in the tackle and got the ball down after a great break downfield from Coventry but the referee gave Town a penalty instead for a double movement.

Town then upped their barrage of the Bears line. Forber went close and then the ball came out to Wilkes who crashed over by the posts, Forber converting for 36-6.

With the clock beginning to tick down, Ben Morris positioned himself well to make a great interception and had the legs to carry himself over the line at the corner flag. Forber just couldn't make the kick from the touchline but Town were up to the 40-mark.

They were nearly in again moments later but Hambley chose to go himself instead of passing inside to the supporting Kurt Maudling and he was halted just short.

Coventry got some consolation when a mix-up between both sides saw the ball come free and kicked towards the try line where Hayden Freeman won the foot race to get a touch before it went dead. Stead added the extras.

Then, with just a minute and a half left on the clock, Jason Bass raced over for the Bears, with the kick just shading the wrong side of the post.

The hooter sounded with Workington recording a 40-16 win and now they have to turn their attentions to one of their biggest games of the season next weekend when they travel to Bradford Bulls.