It was another successful weekend for the Carlisle club, with progress on two fronts.

In the North Lancs and Cumbria League’s Premier Division, they scored a nail-biting, last-gasp win against Dalton. But they didn’t have to break sweat on Sunday to reach the semi-final of the County Cup when scheduled opponents Haverigg pulled-out.

Carlisle left it to the last over of a gripping match to secure a vital, two- wicket win at Dalton and move into third place in the table.

The visitors made some enforced changes and had young players to thank for a spirited performance in a nervy run chase after Dalton were bowled out for 163.

Sri Lankan pro Madawa Warnapura top scored for Dalton with 50 on a difficult surface after they were invited to have first knock.

Ruairidh Barker and Henry Walker took two wickets apiece while professional Justin Greaves returned to the field after a bout of sickness to wrap up the innings at 163 and complete a return of 5-24.

In reply, Carlisle got off to a shaky start, losing openers Ben Davidson and James Lythgoe cheaply, while Greaves became one of John Bell’s four victims when he played on for three.

Eddie Mitchell, fresh from his free scoring exploits for the seconds, stepped up to the mark to make 45 and together with skipper Marc Brown (53), stabilised the innings.

Work, though, remained to be done once both had perished and Carlisle were indebted to 16-year-old Jonathan Davidson’s positive show of intent (23) to get close to the target, which Henry Walker and keeper Andy Trickett achieved with just three balls of the 50 overs to spare.

With Haverigg conceding the County Cup quarter-final that was due on Sunday, Carlisle celebrated a successful weekend while enjoying the continued emergence of Junior talent at the club.

Carlisle again have a hectic weekend, welcoming champions Workington to Edenside on Saturday prior to entertaining Cleator in the Higson Cup quarter-final on Sunday.

Secretary Mark Davidson said: “This was a crucial win for the side, although once again we didn’t bowl well at times and there are areas where we know we can improve with the ball.

“The run chase wasn’t for the faint-hearted but under pressure we came through a tough challenge and great credit must go to some of the younger guys after skipper Marc Brown and Eddie Mitchell helped us recover from 11-3.

“We have now played everyone once and we are in third place in the Premier Division.”

At home to Workington, there are two changes from the side that won at Dalton.

In come Alex Raybould and Chris Blythe, back from Liverpool University, and for Sunday’s Higson Cup tie again at home to Cleator there are a few enforced changes.

In come Jordan Oultram, Ruairidh Barker, Phil Frazer and Matthew Trickett with James Lythgoe, Eddie Mitchell, Blythe and Raybould being unavailable.

Carlisle trail the top two by 23 points after Furness also won a thriller on Saturday in the match of the day.

They bowled out rivals Workington for 105 and, despite struggling themselves, Kiwi pro Seth Rance hit three consecutive fours to see them home at 106-8.

The battle for third place is going to be interesting with Carlisle (41), Wigton (40) and Cleator (39) all in contention.

There was a terrific game at the Ray Denham Oval where Cockermouth beat Wigton by six runs.

Cockermouth made 205-9 with Chris Hodgson, former pro with Wigton, making 76. Ben Purdham took 4-44 for Wigton.

All the top six for Wigton got a start, particularly Mike Slack (35), Lewis Little (32) and Theo Manihera (31), but they eventually perished for 199. There were three balls left when Johnny Honeyman was run-out by Alex Grainger.

Cleator had two overs to spare when they got home by three wickets at Keswick.

Professional Geeth Kumara top-scored with 70 when Keswick reached 224-7 in their 50 overs.

David Blackwell had 4-52 for Cleator who replied with 226-7, built around opener Robert Mason (57) and professional Kavindu Kulasekara (55 not out).

Kumara took 4-41 for Keswick who go to Cockermouth tomorrow. Cleator host joint leaders Furness while Wigton entertain Dalton.

As well as Carlisle’s home quarter-final against Cleator on Sunday the other Higson Cup-ties are – Haverigg v Dalton; Whitehaven v Furness and Wigton v Keswick.

In the Northern League, Penrith got off the mark with their first win, a good one too, at Lancaster by four wickets. They bowled out the home side in 47 overs for 191 with Australian Jesse Dinnie taking 6-50.

Anchored by young Greg Cameron (79), Penrith had 5.2 overs to spare when they reached 195-6 for that elusive first win.

Penrith stay bottom but are now only three points behind Preston.

Tomorrow, they are at home to Fleetwood, currently mid-table just above last week’s opponents Lancaster.