People across Cumberland are being urged to dispose of batteries safely - after a refuse vehicle fire in Carlisle.

Cumberland Council has emphasised the dangers of disposing batteries in regular household waste, following last week's fire incident in Carlisle involving a refuse vehicle.

Batteries, commonly found in objects such as toothbrushes, toys, phones, laptops and e-cigarettes, can cause fires or explosions if damaged because of the energy they contain. This includes rechargeable Lithium-ion.

The council's plea is to ensure safety and protect the environment.

Residents are encouraged to use designated battery recycling bins at Household Waste Recycling Centres across Cumberland and most supermarkets.

To find the nearest battery collection point, the council suggests using the Recycle More website.

Chloe Tringham, assistant director for climate and waste, said: "In our increasingly digital world, electronic devices powered by batteries are indispensable.

"However, batteries have a limited lifespan and need proper disposal.

"Even if they don't cause a fire, damaged batteries pose a significant risk to the environment.

"These batteries contain various chemicals and materials that can have detrimental effects to our surroundings, if not recycled responsibly.

"Recycling batteries is a simple yet effective way to protect the environment and conserve valuable resources, and we are encouraging people to take their unwanted batteries to their Household Waste Recycling Centres or their local supermarket for recycling."

This battery disposal initiative aims to reduce environmental impact and ensure a safer community for all residents of Cumberland.