A MAN is 'fighting hard' following an explosion at a Workington brewery last week, with a statement saying the employee is now in a 'stable' condition.

Tractor Shed Brewing took to social media to provide an update on their employee Leigh, following the incident last week, with the business thanking the community for their support following the explosion.

At 2:50pm on Monday, May 13, police were contacted by the ambulance service (NWAS) who had received a report of 'an explosion at a brewing facility' at the Tractor Shed Brewery, off Calva Brow in Workington.

Multiple residents in the nearby village of Seaton reported hearing a loud bang, followed by sirens with Calva Brow being closed for a period of time and multiple emergency teams on scene throughout the afternoon.

In a statement, Tractor Shed Brewing: "This last week has been the hardest week. Since the explosion in the brewery on Monday our colleague Leigh has been in hospital with severe burns. He is stable and fighting hard.

"All of our thoughts are with Leigh and his family. We ask that you give them the space they need at this time.

"We have received hundreds of messages of kindness, well wishes to Leigh and offers of support. This has been truly humbling and we cannot thank you enough. These messages help us, and hopefully Leigh, get through the days and give us the strength to face tomorrow.

"We may not get to reply to them all but they have all been appreciated. Thankyou for your continued love and understanding."

On Tuesday, May 14 Cumbria police said that that the investigation into the incident is ongoing, and they are jointly working with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Speaking on the incident last week, Mark Jenkinson MP said: “Like many residents of Seaton, I was deeply shocked and saddened to learn about this incident.

“My thoughts are with the employee who has been badly injured – and with his friends, family, and colleagues.

“I would also like to praise the North West Ambulance Service, the Police, and fire service who were called out to the Tractor Shed on Monday afternoon to deal with this awful incident."