A POPULAR Lake District event is being left in doubt as to whether it will go ahead this weekend, following forecasted 50mph winds and bad weather.

Since 2015, the Lakeland Festival of Light series has raised over £77,500 for various charities. The event is completely non-profit and raises money through donations.

The event takes place on Catbells, with participants asked to meet at the Rawnsley Centre car park in Keswick at 5.30pm, for an event briefing before walking up the hill.

This year the event was due to take place this Saturday, April 6 however bad weather has made the go ahead of the event 'look bleak'.

Lakeland Mountain Guides, who organise the Lakeland Festival of Light on Catbells  issued an update yesterday evening, March 3 

In a statement on social media, Event Organiser, Matt Le Voi said: "First up, the event has not been cancelled, however - it's looking bleak.  As an operator of an outdoor company for over 12 years I know all too well how the weather can change here in the Lake District, and I loath to rely on a forecast so far in advance.

"That said, the current forecast for Saturday is not improving and if it stays as it is we would need to cancel the event. There are forecast 50mph winds, with rain. The LFOL attracts people of all abilities, ages and experiences, and not everyone is equipped to withstand being static on a mountainside in those conditions. Quite simply, it is above our appetite for risk and I won't go into an event like this with those risk margins squeezed from the offset.

"I'm posting this update as I am well aware there are lots of you out there who are travelling in for the event and with this knowledge you may make an advance decision to not come. Furthermore, this may mean you can cancel accommodation or make alternative plans. I apologise to all local accommodation providers who are impacted by this.

"I appreciate this post will impact attendance even if we can run, but I do think it's only fair to let you have an insight into my current thoughts."

The organisers have thanked people for their support and encouraged attendees to look out for an update on the final decision on Friday, March 5.